Wednesday, July 3, 2013

House Hunters

“Just one more” my husband said, “one more house.”
I shook my head, “No, I can’t do it anymore.
We’ve lost out on seven houses , and this one is already listed out of our price range”.
“I want to look at it." he said, "I’m not ready to give up yet.”

Instead of being exciting, our search for a new home had become drudgery. The real estate market was booming and as a result it was a “buyer’s market”. Unfortunately there were many buyers out there doing the same thing we were.
Every house we saw ended up with multiple offers.
 Seven times we thought we found our house.
Seven times we signed on the dotted line with our best offer we could afford.
And seven times we were outbid. I wanted to give up. It was too hard. I hated falling in love with a house only to be disappointed when the answer was no.
This final house we saw was in a town I didn’t want to live in, and the price was at the top of our budget. My husband was convinced it was the house for us; I was not.
Though we disagreed, we submitted the offer.
However, I did not hold out much hope, in fact this time, due to its location and price, I wanted our offer rejected.
Of course, it was accepted.
Such is the story of my life.
Most of the time I have a plan and a direction that I’m going in, or at least I think I do, but God seems to have other plans.

Isaiah 55:9 (NLT) For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts
We have no way of knowing what is in store for us on any given day.
We are not capable of seeing beyond today to what the future holds.
Only God can do that.

God in is infinite wisdom has already planned our entire lives from beginning to end. He has everything completely under His command and control.
Lucky for us, His way is always a much better way than ours.
Even if we disagree or don’t understand when we receive a “no”, it’s comforting to know that “no” doesn’t always mean “not ever”. Most of the time, it just means “not right now” or “not this one”.

That last house was the only one whose seller accepted our offer. We ended up living there for 10 years. It was less than 10 minutes from our church and our kid’s school.
If we had bought a house in the town I wanted to live in, we would have been more than 20 minutes away. That may not seem like a lot, but living closer to our church made it possible for us to be involved there in ways we never would have if we lived further out. During those 10 years, we served in the children’s ministry, men’s ministry, women’s ministry and our church’s sports outreach program.
Can you imagine being at church three or four nights a week for different women’s, men’s and children’s events when we lived over 20 minutes away? I’d like to think the distance wouldn’t have kept us from serving, but I know the truth.
And so did God.
Looking back, as disappointed as I was with the way our house hunt had gone, I see His way was much better than mine and I am grateful that He was a better House Hunter than I was.

1 comment:

  1. http://gogetfunding.com/project/bangon-bantayan-a-super-typhoon-haiyan-relief#/project_details

    ReplyDelete