Friday, June 28, 2013

Ten Things I learned in June

Today I'm linking up with Emily Freeman at www.chattingatthesky.com with this Ten Things I Learned in June post.
Enjoy!

1. Always where sunblock-For years I enjoyed skin that tanned easily. However as I have gotten older and the sun apparently has gotten hotter, I have come to realize that I will get sunburned if not protected.

2. Pay attention to warning labels. This one is connected to number one above. Because not only did I go out without sunblock thinking I’d be ok because of my lovely olive skin tone, but I also didn’t pay attention to the warning label on the medication I had started taking for my lovely olive skin that was breaking out like crazy. If a warning label says “avoid prolonged exposure to sun”, please listen. I know I will next time.

3. Just because you didn’t do what was on your list for the day, doesn’t mean you didn’t get anything done. This little tidbit came from a blog post I read by MaryBeth Whalen. You can read her post here: http://www.marybethwhalen.blogspot.com/2013/06/i-didnt-but-i-did.html She is right though, sometimes you do things that are not on your list for the day, but that are just as important.

4. Spending time and resources on writing is not selfish. This is a difficult one for me. Ever since I started writing I have allowed it to get pushed to the back burner for other things I thought were more important. I’ve realized this month through the help of some wonderful cyber friends (thank you Emily and thank you Jeff Goins) that I can use some of my time for writing. I can set aside the time and I don’t have to feel guilty about it. I’m allowed to want to do this, I’m allowed to actually do it.

5. Movies I watched as a kid are not necessarily ok for my own children to watch. Recently my son discovered the movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and The Breakfast Club. Both were movies I saw when I was probably the same age he is now. This was not a smart move. I think if we had had PG-13 ratings when these movies came out they would have been given that rating. Bad language, inappropriate situations…… I guess like big bangs and leg warmers, some things are better left in the past.


6. Having an Iphone is Ok, more than ok, actually it’s pretty cool. I was due for an upgrade and my husband talked me into an Iphone. I have been protesting against having a smart phone for quite some time now. I have to admit though, it is a pretty cool phone to have. I can check email, facebook, pinterest, all from my phone. I can also make a note of something I want to write about right there on the phone! It's incredible what it can do. And I know the next time I’m in Barnes & Noble and I can’t remember the name of the book I wanted to buy, I will be able to look it up on my cool new Iphone. Now if I can just figure out how to check the voicemail.

7. You can do a lot with just 30 minutes.Whether it’s cleaning, reading, exercising or writing, 30 minutes is a big chunk of time during the day. I have recently set aside 30 minutes a day for writing. I’ve been doing it for over a week now and it is working out really well. I have written some things that I am proud of and for the first time in a long time, I feel like a real writer. Only 30 minutes a day? Who knew?

8. A crayon will burn like a candle. I saw this in Pinterest. When I told my husband about it, he didn’t think it would really work. It did. It burned for a half hour and left nothing but ashes from the paper on the plate. Now I don’t know when I will ever need to do this, but I guess it is always good to know it can be done.

9. Captain Crunch isn’t really a captain. No joke, this was actually on the news. I have no words.

10. I have a lot in common with Angel from the book Redeeming Love. I’ve joined a summer book club and we are doing a study of Redeeming Love and although I read it many years ago, it has only been this second time through that I have seen the similarities between Angel and myself. Not the prostituting, mind you I was never that bad. Her complete brokenness and how that spills over into her choices, reactions and thoughts…..I can relate.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Josey. I just made my way here via Emily's linkup. Just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed your June Lessons Learned compilation here. And I totally agree with #5. I have been SHOCKED when I viewing some of these films as an adult. Perhaps my surprise has come from originally seeing them in formatted for television versions in which some of the less appropriated points were omitted? I will never forget how surprised I was when watching _Goonies_ unedited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, unfortunately I didn't grow up in a Christian home, so I've seen all kinds of stuff unedited. I think I just forgot how bad those movies were until recently. Although it does open up some good discussion times.
      My kids love the Goonies.

      Delete
  2. I ditto the movie thing. I have also found this with TV shows I watched in my 20's that I wouldn't watch now especially after viewing an episode with my teen daughter.

    I have always had to wear sunblock and when I lived in Texas just bought moisturiser with a higher SPF. It helped a lot. Many blessing with your writing.

    I really enjoyed your list and look forward to reading more of your writing in the future.

    ReplyDelete