Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Passion, Purpose and a New Look

What do you think of the new look?

In my attempt to revamp my blog and my "online presence", I've been playing with some new looks to this site.
And unfortunately I have played around so much and since I'm not techno savy, I've lost my original design and cannot get it back now. So who knows what this place will look like each time you stop by. If there is something you like, please let me know. I consider all opinions to be very valuable when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm also very indecisive and need all the help I can get.

Ever since the phone call from The Agent telling me I need to build my "online presence", I've been thinking a lot about what my purpose is for this site. I wrote to my sort of online friend Emily Freeman and asked for her advice as an already published author and someone with an "online presence" (side note: yes I intend to use quotes every time I write "online presence" because that whole phrase just seems overly used and just a little fad, and I'll admit the phrase scares me so I'm gonna be sarcastic and use quotes)

Emily was very kind and gave me the absolute best advice I think I have ever gotten so far.
Besides all the great practical tips, she also shared this-

" Write what you love, what makes you come alive."

and this-

"Just take it one step at a time and try not to think of it as building a platform. Think about it as coming alive in the presence of others with your writing."

When I read those lines in her email, I paused just for a moment and let the words sink in and swirl around a bit in my heart.
I thought that's it isn't it? That's the whole enchilada.
If I can just get my mind around that concept I won't have to worry about the whole "online presence" thing. Because if I'm writing what I'm passionate about and what makes me come alive in front of people, then everything else will fall into place on it's own.

It was a lightening bolt moment.

Then from somewhere inside I was reminded of things I had written in the past either here on this blog or in my own personal journal.

        I didn't want to focus on publishing, just writing well
        I wanted to write because it was what I felt God wanted me to do
        I wasn't going to be able to make this happen, only God could do that
        Even if nothing ever comes of this writing thing, I have to give it life

And then it wasn't just a lightening bolt moment, but an Amazing God, Ordinary Life moment. Those moments when God steps in and works and we stand back and watch as He takes seemingly ordinary events and weaves it into this amazing story.

Which is exactly what I want to share with people here on this blog.

So after playing around with the design and look, I jumped to the tab at the top that says About Me. I read what I wrote a few years ago about why I have this blog. Take a look sometime if you haven't already.
Here is a snippet:
And even though I feel like my life is ordinary and completely unspecial, He is still there loving me, in the midst of all that ordinary.
And He does the same for you.
That's where the title of my blog comes from. I was starting to see His amazing work in my ordinary life and I wanted to write about it.
 I want to show you God in everything. 


There it was, my passion, my purpose the reason I want to write.

All at once I had come full circle. In my quest to get a new look, and find my passion in writing I have found myself right back where I started......

seeing an Amazing God work in one woman's Ordinary Life.


What about you, have you seen Amazing work by God in your life today? I'd love to hear about it.


Josey

2 comments:

  1. " Write what you love, what makes you come alive." That is some great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Josey! I knew He'd bring it together in your mind! And I like that you're playing around with your website. Like your writing focus, He'll bring it together!
    (but you might want to keep a notebook and jot down your changes, especially the ones you like)

    ReplyDelete