Thursday, June 6, 2013

God Sized Update

God-Sized ButtonI've been following along with Holley Gerth and the pursuit of our God-Sized Dream since the beginning of this year. Sometimes it has gone well, other times, not so much.

What I chose to seek as my dream is obedience. Which of course is a very broad thing. Most people have chosen a more narrow idea. For me, being obedient covers a multitude of things in my life. All the things I'd like to do, or who I want to be, it all comes down to obedience. If I am obedient to God, and what he wants from me in my life, then all those other things will fall into place, or not, but at least I can say I did what I was supposed to do.

Holley has put a hold on the weekly challenges for awhile and she asked for us to update about where we are in our dream following.

Interesting that I should stumble on this today. A rainy day when my kids are still sleeping or hanging in their rooms in that lazy, school's out sort of way. I've been alone here in the kitchen for over two hours with my laptop. Doing all the things I tend to do when I have a few minutes of uninterrupted time.
Checking email and facebook.
Well, it's not as bad as all that. I've been doing a little reading on a new website I found thanks to Emily Freeman. If you don't know Emily, you should definitely check out her site. She's written two books and is working on a third. I heard her speak at She Speaks the first time I attended and have been a fan every since.  She is just so darn nice too!

She told me about a site for writers by Jeff Goins. I spent the better part of the morning just reading and reading and reading the information he has for writers.  I've learned a lot in just a short time.
Although by the looks of this post, I haven't put any of it into practice yet.
I'm really supposed to be putting things into a quick, easy to read format. With bullet points and paragraph titles, so that people can skim. Because nowadays that's all people have time for.
This post is just one long rambling of words, and most of you have probably stopped reading already. But that's ok, because I'm learning to write because I want to write, not to get noticed. At the same time, I'm trying to write interesting content, with passion for my topic, and with good grammar.
Whew.

Where was I? Oh yes, an update.

Right now it seems God is asking me to really work hard at this writing thing. I've got to put in some effort, no one is going to do it for me. Which makes it more difficult because I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark looking for the door knob to the bright outside, all the while yelling for someone to help me and getting no response but my own echo.
And that is right where He wants me. In the dark, on my own, looking for help. Does that make sense? Some of you probably think not.
Just bear with me, another 100 or so more words. LOL

When I'm in the dark, it may feel like I am alone but I am not. God's promise to never leave or forsake us comes into to play at the darkest of our times. He wants me there, because it's in those dark times, when I come to rely on Him the most. No one is answering my calls for help, because I'm looking to the wrong people to help me. He is my one true help at all times. There will be light eventually, darkness cannot exist without it. The light will come when God decides to bring it. My job is to stay in His presence and follow Him.

See, you get it now right? Even with the rambling and no bullet points?
Ok, good.

All this to say. I am still working hard to be obedient. It's not easy. Of course it never is. If it were easy, then what would be the point?


1 comment:

  1. Keep trying new things, Josey. You'll fall into a comfortable groove after a while!

    ReplyDelete