Tuesday, April 2, 2013

BUT WHY?

God-Sized ButtonI am still following along with Holley Gerth in pursuing our God Sized Dreams for 2013.This week Holley wants us to tackle the question of "why".  Why is your dream worth pursuing, fighting for and seeing through no matter what happens?

I've been thinking about this since this morning, which of course explains why it has taken me until now to write my answer.  Problem is, I'm not sure how to answer.
My goal is obedience. So why is obedience worth pursuing, fighting for and seeing through no matter what happens?  Hmmm, sadly, my only response to that is "because it makes things work out better for me" Which just sounds completely selfish. 
Of course, that's not the reason I am pursuing obedience, so things will work out good for me. I'm pursuing obedience because it is what we are all called to do. The part about it working out good for me, is what makes it worth pursuing. It's the side benefit to being obedient.
I am reminded of the Bible verse that parents use with their children:
Ephesians 6:1-3 (NASB) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.
 
Oh, but look what else I found:
 
Isaiah 1:19
“If you consent and obey, You will eat the best of the land

And this.
  Deuteronomy 28:2
All these blessings will come upon you and overtake you if you obey the Lord your God.
 
And also this.

Jeremiah 7:23 But this is what I commanded them, saying, "obey my voice and I will be your God, and you will be My people, and you will walk in all the way which I command you, that it may be well with you.
 
So I guess it isn't really a new concept. Or even a selfish one. The idea of being obedience and things going well in your life, is scriptural. God says it right there in His Word.
God wouldn't have put it in his word if he didn't want us to know about it. So if it is in there, then we are supposed to know that obedience brings blessings.

 
The blessings are not only the benefit of obedience, they are part of it.
You don't have one without the other.
And who doesn't want blessings from God?
I know I could use more blessings in my life. I would like things to go well in my life. I don't know anyone who would turn that down.

We are called to obey God in everything we do. But it is not meant to be a burden. It is designed to be a blessing in our life. Just as we teach our children that obeying brings good things to life. We must also teach ourselves. Because only when we obey, and stay on the path that God has planned for us, will be reap the benefits and blessings that are also planned for us.
 
And that is why it is worth it........... and I intend to do everything I can to continue it.
 
Josey
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Seems like our thought process was on the same path yesterday because the why that I came to about following my dream was simply because He said so. Thanks for sharing and confirming for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to me that I helped you.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it a conundrum, Josey? Wanting to be obedient for the right reasons (we're called to it), but also the little voice in the back of your mind that you'll receive a blessing from it.

    But even if we don't, it'll still be worth it in the end to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." That will be blessing enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up until a few months ago, I thought that obeying was a burden. You said it exactly. Now, I'm just sorry it took me so long to figure out that obeying is a blessing, to God, you and the lives of those around you. Thank you Josey for a great point when it comes to the "why" of pursuing our GSD! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad what I wrote was helpful to you! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete