Thursday, March 14, 2013

God Sized Dream-Want More?

I'm a little late with this week's God Sized Dream step, please forgive me. It is spring break for my kids and we decided to take a little trip back to where we are from. We don't do that often. It has been fun, and exciting and just a little overwhelming.

I didn't want to let this week past without taking another step toward my God Sized Dream of obedience. A little ironic isn't it? My goal was obedience and yet I considered not doing this weeks step? Hmmmm.

Well this weeks step is this:
What do you really want more of in your life? Will you dare to say it out loud?

This was another difficult step for me. So many things ran through my mind that I could use more of in my life. It was a struggle to choose just one. Unlike the time I listed all four of my peeps, I knew this step didn't have as much wiggle room. I knew in my heart I had to settle on just one thing. After much prayer and consideration it's come to this.

What I want more of in my life is.......knowledge.

I've always felt inadequate in pretty much every aspect of my life.  Not just in writing. I don't ever think I know enough as other moms about what to do with their kids. I don't really know how to handle relationships the way I should. And biblical knowledge? Well, let's just say I'm glad there isn't a test at the end, because it wouldn't go well.

It's not that I don't know stuff. (should I use the word stuff?) Anyway, I do have some basic knowldge of life. Afterall, I am a human.
I know alot about movies, and books and just plain ole weird trivia type stuff. (there's that word again, sheesh!)
However as I like to say, "I am full of useless information."  Of course the movie information has helped me create a non-fiction book and I am thankful for that. It's just that in normal conversations, most people don't want to hear you quote lines from movies. Or they don't really care that Dr. Seuss' first book "And to Think that I saw it on Mulberry Street" was rejected 27 times before it became published. Or that Tom Hanks was only the second actor in history to receive an Oscar two years in a row. Or how about that Phil Robertson from the TV show "Duck Dynasty" was a football player in college who was ranked higher than Terryt Bradshaw?

See what I mean? You get the picture.

I would like to know more.  Important stuff. about God, about life, about how to function as a wife and mother who has ambitions.
I'd like to know more about writing, and how to write. How to create characters and storylines and a proper sentence. Where to place chapter breaks? Do I use "its or it's, is it effect or affect, to or too"? I'd like to know more about proper etiquete in the writing industry. Should I email the agent again and ask when I will hear from her or just keep waiting?

How do I convince my daughter that a free college scholarship is worth moving away from family and friends?
How do I continue to love family members who just don't get it when it comes to Jesus?
What do I do when family just....drives.....me.....crazy?

Where do I find the verse that I know is there but for some reason when I try to search Biblegateway.com just isn't coming up?  How do a find a verse that goes along with what I know to be true about God, but I'm not sure when or where or who said it?  What do I say to someone who admits past  sin to me in a casual conversation?(is it passed or past? still not sure)

I could go on and on about all the stuff I wish I knew, because I don't know how long a good blog post should be, and I don't know how long you are willing to stay here and read.

So I will just leave you with this quote from Oscar Wilde:

“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”


I thought it was funny. But it's possible I'm the only one. I just don't know.


Josey

1 comment:

  1. I love talking about nothing TOO, Josey :) I think all of us want more knowledge, especially when it comes to scripture. For what it's worth, I've nearly burned up the BibleGateway search engine over the years.

    And knowledge about writing? Sometimes I think I should give it up altogether if I can't get any better at it. It's comforting to hear other writers wrestle with similar things, especially popular PUBLISHED authors. If I'm ever lucky/blessed enough to be published, I'm going to wrestle with that stuff out in public so other writers will know I don't have my act together.

    And btw - I overuse "stuff" all the time. Just cringed at a comment I made on another blog where I used it twice in the same sentence. *sigh*

    HUGS to you -- keep dreaming AND writing!

    ReplyDelete