Tuesday, February 12, 2013

God Sized Dream-Something Must Go


This week’s step in saying yes to your God-Sized Dream is:

figure out what you need less of in your life so that you could embrace more of what God has for you {including your dream}.
http://holleygerth.com/the-best-is-yet-to-be-for-you-and-your-dreams/

Oh, so much less is need for sure.

What do I need less of in my life to embrace more of what God has for me?

This past Sunday, our pastor preached on several verses from Proverbs. He talked about the roles of wives and husbands and children. He gave us insight on how influential our behavior is in our home. He spoke of women being the Godly wife and mother that we are meant to be. He said that the “way we treat the people in our family is directly related to our success in life” (that’s not the exact wording) And yes, he referred to the Proverbs 31 woman.

The whole time I just kept thinking, how? How do I be there for my husband and my children, and take care of my home, and do what I can to provide some income if I am able, and still have time for the things that I enjoy, or things that I would like to pursue? I became so frustrated listening to him that I began to feel as though it were impossible to achieve.

Then I realized something. And it goes along with exactly what Holley was saying here http://holleygerth.com/living-with-your-whole-heart/

I don’t need more time, or more of anything. What I need is less. Less distractions. Less of myself. Less doing just for doing sake.

When I do less, I am actually doing more. I live more fully.

I’ve got to get rid of anything that is a time zapper, or at least set realistic limits. Once these things are out of the way, I won’t have that overwhelming sense of not enough time. There’s really plenty of time, I’m just not using it wisely.

I need to take on the attitude of being there for others, putting myself last. Yes, I have dreams. Yes, there are things I enjoy. But I am also a wife and mother with responsibilities that need to come first.  I believe when I obey and put myself after others, that is when God will provide the space I need to pursue my own interests.

I have to be careful what I say yes to. I must be realistic about my abilities and time. I have a tendency to want to jump on every opportunity that comes my way. But more isn’t always better, sometimes it’s just more. I need to learn to say no sometimes. Or at the least, take time before I answer.

So that’s it. Three things that should be easy, but probably won’t be.

Josey

1 comment:

  1. "How?" . . that is the question, isn't it? I'm right there with you. I think God ultimately enriches our lives, as we find ourselves in situations beyond our resources of time, energy, wisdom. It makes us look up to Him. Reminds me of the fishes & loaves. 2 Corinthians 9:8 is such a great promise too: "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."

    ReplyDelete