Tuesday, February 26, 2013

God-Sized Dream Inspiration

This week in following my God-Sized Dream I want to share a little inspiration with you.
Our challenge was to find someone else's story about following their dream and tell others about it.

Well, I don't know if this woman is following her dream or not, but her story inspires me.

I'd like to tell you about Ann (without an e) Voskamp. Some of you may have already heard of her. Many of you are already fans. For those of you who don't know Ann you can read more about her here www.aholyexperienc.com
I think I first heard of her through one of the blogs that I follow. Not sure which one. But for a few months I heard the "buzz" about this new book called "1,000 Gifts" written by Ann Voskamp. People were talking about her and her book everywhere on the internet.
Of course I added the book to my list of books that I'd like to read, but didn't really give it much thought.
Then someone gave me the book for a gift. Someone that I hadn't even mentioned the book to. But she had heard of it and thought it was good so she gave it to me.
I read the book and have been a fan/follower every since. I even had a chance to hear her speak in person at the She Speaks conference in 2011.
I cannot even begin to tell you how much Ann's writing has influenced and impacted my life.
What I admire most about her is that she didn't start out wanting to be a New York Time's best selling author. She never planned on being a sought after speaker. It wasn't her desire to have thousands of followers.
She is just a wife and mother trying to live for Christ. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't. She began writing about her experiences with struggling to live life the way we all wish we could as a way of coping I think. She didn't even enable the comments section on her blog, because she wasn't writing for the masses. She wrote for an audience of one and that was all that matter to her. She wrote because she needed to. Never worrying what others would think or if it would amount to anything. God called her to write and she did.

Her writing is beautiful. Not just in the way she composes sentences, although that in itself is lovely. No, her heart comes through her words completely without restraint. She is absolutely the most real person I have ever come across. She doesn't ever claim to have it all together. She writes openly about her flaws and failures in a way that draws you in and allows you to be part of it, to see that you are not alone.  She loves her family and others without condition, all the while struggling to accept the love of others given to her.

Through it all, everything comes back to Jesus, the cross and the gospel. Always without fail. No matter how much she questions herself or the world around her, the answer is always the same.
Jesus.

I am in awe of how she lives her life. All of it. The simpleness of being a farmers wife, the dedication to homeschooling six children, reaching out to others through Compassion International, the quiet gentle way about her, and her strength to walk to the little shed a few feet from her house, built by her husband, to let the words of her heart flow out to honor God.

Ann Voskamp- my inspiration to be all that God called me to be.



Josey

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful post about a beautiful woman of God. She is an inspiration to so many and yet it is her humility that blesses the sox off of us. Thank Josey for passing this on. Blessings to you as you continue to discover your dream and walk it out with you Shepherd.
    much love,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mary Ellen. I appreciate you stopping by today.

      Delete
  2. Ann is amazing, isn't she? I love that she's inspired women around the world to embrace eucharisto

    ReplyDelete