Tuesday, January 29, 2013

God-Sized Dream-Still Moving Forward

http://holleygerth.com/category/god-sized-dreams/

This week our God-Sized Dream step is- think back to another time when you took positive action in your life. {Unless you’re still eating baby food, crawling and wearing onesies you’ve already come a long way!} What’s one thing that helped you move forward that you could apply again now and someone else could benefit from hearing too? Share what you discovered from your life by linking up your blog post below.

Surprisingly, this one was a little more difficult. Considering I feel I need to do this challenge, you would think that I have never done anything brave in my life. When I started thinking about this week's step, I realized I have done lots of positive things in my life. There have been several times when I have stepped out of my comfort zone and moved forward. Did I know then that it was a step towards something bigger? No, not really. They were just situtations when I took the Nike slogan "Just Do It" seriously.
I've realized that I do that alot.  I'll just be going along with my normal life and all of a sudden I will decide that I need to "Just Do It".  Whenever the "it" is.  And then I go ahead and do it.  Now of course there are areas in my life where I should "Just Do It" and I don't. For whatever reason those areas of my life are slower to catch on with the slogan.  But I know the more I think about these times when I have done something positive to move forward, the more I realize that this has really always been my attitude.  I've always had the attitude of "if you want to change, then do it". Somehow over the years though other things have gotten in the way and my "Just Do It" attitude has sometimes been a little less proactive.
That is something to think about.
Although I have lots of situtations, I have one in particular that I am going to share.
Way back before we moved to Virginia, when we had first started attending the church that we would remain involved in for 10 years, I attended the women's retreat in Philadelphia.  It was probably only the second one I had attended and I didn't know too many people. My roommate got sick and wasn't able to attend so I had a room to myself. My good friend who had first invited me to church was there and I tended to stick close to her whenever we were at a church event.  Well, the first night I had started talking to a few women that I didn't know too well. I just knew who they were and had seen them around church before. They were slightly older than me, but still lots of fun to talk to.  They were planning on going out sight seeing the next morning, including visiting a restuarant that had been featured on Rachel Ray's $40 a day. I love big cities and was very excited about seeing all the historical sites. They were meeting at 8:30 am in the lobby and I was welcomed to come along if I wanted.
I had a choice to make. I could hang out with my really good friend who I had come with and always stuck close to, or I could go with these ladies who I didn't know very well, but had invited me to tag along with them.
I got up early and went with the ladies I didn't know too well.
I have to tell you, that this decision was a defining moment in my life. I stepped out of my comfort zone and it made all the difference. Those women I spent the day with are all still women I consider friends today.  One of them is my friend Lorraine, who I consider one of my "peeps". I told you about her last week.
The was really fun and we saw all the sites. And we laughed and got to know each other. I knew from that point on that I could be part of that church and I didn't have to cling to my one friend who had invited me. Things changed for me after that weekend. I got involved more, and it wasn't so frightening coming in to church if I didn't see my other friend saving seats for me.

Note to self though: Next time I change plans and do something brave, I should let my good friend know. Apparently she got up that morning and looked for me, then when she didn't find me she got worried. So that part didn't work out so good.  But she forgave me, like the good friend she is.

Thank you for stopping by today. I'll be back next week with another step toward my God-Sized Dream for 2013.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment