Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Book Review


A while back, not long after I started this blog, I stumbled on a way to get books for free.  Through a series of clicks one day I found the Tyndale Bloggers Network. This was something set up by Tyndale Publishers that allowed people to receive a free copy of a book, either fiction or non-fiction, in exchange for writing a review of the book. The reviews are posted on your blog and at bookseller sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Well, being the lover of books that I am and not having the funds to keep up with that love, I jumped at the chance to do this. Over the years I have posted reviews of books here on this blog that I have received from Tyndale. You can use the link on the side bar here to see other book reviews if you would like. Of course I haven’t been posting as regularly as I would like on my blog. I’m still working on getting back to that. However I still receive emails regarding books that are available for review.

Which brings me to today’s post.

Today I will be reviewing the book that I received recently called

“7 Hours”

Here is what it says in the description:  

“Death comes for everyone. But what if you were given seven more hours? Would you go back and relive a previous time in your life? Or would you live seven more hours starting now? The clock is ticking. What will you do with the time you have left?

7 writers come together to tackle the questions of life, death and time as we know it. Linked together by a mysterious character, each author has taken the same concept and created their unique story with a supernatural twist.”

Doesn’t that sound cool?

I was intrigued from the moment I read the description of the book. The theme of second chances is something that has always appealed to me.  We all live with regrets. We all have things in our lives that we wish we could change. Or if not regret, wouldn’t you like to be prepared for your time to be up? I know I would.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I began reading.  After reading the first story, I remember thinking “ok, I see how this is going to go.” But the next story was nothing like the first. And then the one after that was also entirely different. And the one after that same thing. Each story was surprising and unique. The authors took the same concept and was able to spin it in such a way as to keep you guessing each time. All the while, connecting them to each other. The entire time I read, I was constantly wondering how it would turn out. I wasn’t able to predict anything about any of the stories.  And I am usually able to see the endings of stories coming a mile away.

Before this book, I wasn’t familiar with any of the writers involved.. But being someone who is unable to waste money on books that are a disappointment makes this concept very appealing to me. I was able to get a taste of each writer’s style with minimal commitment. And now after having read a little of each of their work, I am looking forward to picking up other books by these same authors.

The other thing I liked was that it is available in digital form. Having recently gotten a kindle this was a nice option for me. You can buy each story separately or all seven of them together. Personally I would recommend all seven. While each story is very good on its own and you would still get the feel for the concept with only one story, I think all seven together is a better option for getting the full impact.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend to any and every one. It was imaginative, exciting, suspenseful and thought provoking. I cannot even come up with enough words to describe this book.

When I finished the last story I could only shake my head and utter one word.

Wow.

I have not been this blown away by a book in a long time.

If you would like to learn more about the project and the authors you can visit the website for 7 Hours here:  http://7hoursbooks.com/

Thanks for stopping by

Josey

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review and the recommendation, Josey. I've been on the lookout for some good summer reads!

    ReplyDelete