Saturday, October 15, 2011


(I wrote this post yesterday and scheduled it, this morning Oct 15th when I opened up Jesus Calling to do my devotion time, this is what it said:
Try to stay concious of Me as you go step by step through this day. My presence with you is both a promise and a protection. My final statement just before I ascended into heaven was: Surely I am with you always. That promise was for all of My followers, without exception.........The wayto stay on the path of Life is to keep your focus on Me. Awareness of My Presence is your best protection.
I'm thinking I'm on the right path with this 31 Day series don't you?)


Day 15
Awareness
From my journal and Jesus Calling devotional: April 16th – I am calling you to a life of thankfulness. Acknowledge my sovereignty by giving thanks in all circumstances.

In light of this being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I have a question for you today. Do you think it is easier to be thankful if troubled times, or in the ordinary times when nothing is happening?

Not sure what the consensus will be on this one, but I think it is harder to be thankful in the ordinary times. I know that doesn’t seem to make sense.

As believers we are taught that troubles will come. The life of following Jesus is not a guaranteed life of ease. If anything, life becomes more difficult. When those troubled times come, we tend to move closer to God. We rely on Him more. We spend more time with Him. We are much more aware of His movement in our lives, constantly looking to see what is going to happen and what God will do.

But after.

When the trouble passes and things are somewhat back to normal, what happens? We go about our lives doing what needs to be done and the heart that was so open to all God was showing us is suddenly closed off again. Not that we ever shut God out completely. Yet, it’s almost as if we think He isn’t involved anymore, only coming around when there is something big happening.

God is with us always. Just because we only seem to be aware when he is holding our hand in the tough times doesn’t mean he isn’t also holding the dust pan while we are busy sweeping up that days’ worth of crumbs.

It comes down to awareness.

It’s not easy. It takes a conscious effort on our part. Perhaps you are not like me. Maybe you have no trouble staying aware of God’s presence daily. I, however struggle with this. For me it is much easier to be aware of Him when I’m having a tough time, then when things are more settled. In fact I have gone so far as to feel abandoned by God during ordinary times, as if he isn’t there or he’s forgotten about me. I have to remind myself daily that God doesn’t ever abandon. Things may not seem to be happening, but God is always at work in my life.

Hence the need for a written list.



josey

No comments:

Post a Comment