Friday, October 14, 2011


Day 14

More or Less

“More isn't always better, Linus. Sometimes it's just more.” From the movie Sabrina


Now, did you really think I was going to go a whole month without bringing a movie quote into this?

Actually, I hadn’t planned it, but when I sat down today to write this post I was inspired. Before I began writing I checked out my favorite blog. Ann’s post was about slowing down, and of course it is all pictures. Yeah, did I mention that not only does Ann write beautifully, she takes these amazing pictures to? Yup, she’s my idol just a little bit. Anyway hop on over here and take a look.

After I read it, it got me thinking about how slowing down is key to this whole process. Doing less is not a popular thing nowadays. It seems no matter how much people complain about running so much, many of them are not willing to stop. I hear people all the time talk about “running ragged” but there is no attempt at slowing down.

If we don’t slow down, how can we take notice?

Just like our quote says, “sometimes more is just more, not better.” Oh, we think more is better. That’s what we’ve be told by the world around us. The reality is, the more we run and fill our time with endless activities, the more we will miss.  We think by doing more, we will be assured of never missing out on a thing life has to offer. While that may be true as far as activities, events, or opportunities are concerned, we are actually still missing out.

When we slow down. When we stop running. When we say “no” to one more thing on our schedule. That is when we truly see. In the moments of slowness we can savor. Savor all that life is giving us. Never missing out on a single thing that is happening around us.

And isn’t that they way to thank-full-ness? Isn’t that how we can enjoy the gifts? We can’t enjoy what we don’t see, we can’t see if we are blinded by the more that is surrounding us.

While it may not be a popular notion, this slowing and noticing, it will be the most rewarding.

Our lives will never be as full as we want them to be, as long as we are filling it with “more”.

Only by doing less, can we live…………more.



Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment