Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days to a Thankful Heart Day 2




One day while volunteering in the library at my children’s school, I was chatting with the librarian. As usual the conversation turned to books. She began talking about this book she had heard about recently and asked if I read it.  It was called “1,000 Gifts” and it was written by a woman named Ann VosKamp, who I’d never heard of.  She told me she had been reading it and it was just wonderful. I told her the only thing I knew of the book was what I’d been reading on the internet and the blogs that I frequent.  I mentioned to her that I thought it sounded like something I would enjoy reading based on what I had heard and the fact that she had also brought it up in conversation without her knowing I was interested in the book.

A few weeks later she gave me the book.

And thus continued my theme year of thankfulness.

It wasn’t an easy book to read. Ann writes with such expression and emotion, her choice of words almost poetic, that it can sometimes be difficult to wrap my mind around what she is saying.

As I read, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities in our lives. The frustration she was feeling over how things didn’t always turn out the way she wanted. How she felt her life was getting shorter and shorter by the day and is the life she’s leading the legacy she wants to leave behind? I could relate to her feeling as if there had to be a better way of living fully every day.

Eventually I was drawn in completely. And although my usual way of reading a book is to plow straight through non stop, I took my time. I read slowly. I waited a few days in between chapters to absorb.

And in between that I was still getting bits of the thankfulness theme in my daily devotions.

From my journal:
January 11, 2011
Jesus Calling
-Then thank Me for the answers that I have set into motion long before you can discern results.
And the journey continues…….


Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment