Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday Tune

Today's Tuesday Tune is a song that probably wouldn't be a typical song to relate to our relationship with Jesus. But, I'm all about looking for God in unlikely places and this song has been rolling around in my head for a few days so here goes.
It's called "Please Don't Leave Me" and it's by Pink. For those of you who don't know who she is, that's ok. 

You can listen to the song by clicking here if you've never heard the song before.
This is just a sample of the lyrics to the song.
What gets me the most about this song is how she is singing about being mean to someone she loves. She doesn't know why, she doesn't understand it, and she clearly doesn't like her behavior either. She desparately wants this person in her life, but she is fighting against her inner nature.

I don't know if I can yell any louder
How many times I've kicked you outta here?
Or said something insulting?


I can be so mean when I wanna be
I am capable of really anything
I can cut you into pieces
But my heart is broken


Please don't leave me
Please don't leave me
I always say how I don't need you
But it's always gonna come right back to this
Please, don't leave me

How did I become so obnoxious?

What is it with you that makes me act like this?
I've never been this nasty.

Please don't leave me
Please don't leave me
I always say how I don't need you
But it's always gonna come right back to this
Please, don't leave me



Doesn't that sound familiar? We all want someone in our lives who will love us and be there for us, but don't we always just get in our own way? Our inner nature doesn't necessarily want what is best for us and so it acts out trying to get it's own way.
Our lives are a constant struggle between what we know is right, and what we want to do.
And she is right, we are capable of anything. The depth of the bad behavior that is inside of us is completely unknown sometimes.

But here's the good news. As bad as she behaves, she wants to believe that the person she is singing to will put always put up with her behavior anyway.
Truthfully, people usually won't put up with that behavior. She can beg and plead all she wants but eventually whoever she is lashing out at, will not stick around anymore to be her punching bag.
God, however will never desert us.
Now I'm not saying that there aren't consequences for our actions. I'm not saying that we can behave anyway we want to. I'm not saying that God is our punching bag.
What I am saying is that the Bible says God doesn't leave us, forsake us, or desert us once we belong to Him. He knows our inner nature better than we do. He knows how we are going to react in any given situation. He knows we don't always do the right thing.
He loves us anyway. He made a commitment to us in His Word and He won't go back on it.
We don't need to beg desparately for God not to leave us. He says He won't.

Genesis 28:15 (NASB) Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

1 Kings 8:57(NASB) May the LORD our God be with us, as He was with our fathers; may He not leave us or forsake us,


John 14:18 (NASB) “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NASB) Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.”

Nehemiah 9:17 (NASB) “They refused to listen, And did not remember Your wondrous deeds which You had performed among them; So they became stubborn and appointed a leader to return to their slavery in Egypt. But You are a God of forgiveness, Gracious and compassionate, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness; And You did not forsake them.


Psalm 94:14 (NASB) For the LORD will not abandon His people, Nor will He forsake His inheritance.



Thanks for stopping by today.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment