Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuesday Tune

Today I have another Garth Brooks song for you. Even though I'm not from the south orginally, I've listened to country music for the last 16 years.  This song came out in in 1990. I'd like to say that the first time I heard this song, I liked it, but I didn't. Not at all.
It wasn't until years later after I was married did I get the full impact of this song. It has remained a favorite since then.
I find it interesting that it came to my mind this morning, when just last week I received a rejection email from the one publshier who took my proposal at the conference.

Here are the words to the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks

Just the other night a hometown football game
My wife nd I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be

She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers

Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered

Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers


Oh, how many times I prayed and prayed for something and been disappointed when I didn't get it. It always made me so sad. Because at that time, all I could focus on was what I wasn't getting instead of what I was.
It took such a long time for me to really get it.


First:
God always answers prayer:
Psalm 138:3(NASB) On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul
Even if the answer isn't what I want, it is still an answer.

Second:
He knows what He is doing and it is never wrong.
Deuteronomy 32:4(NASB) “The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He.

I remember the day I heard this song and my heart had a different reaction.
It was after I was married.
That was the day I finally understood why all the prayers of a young teenage girl seemed to go unanswered.
Now this song brings joy, instead of saddness.
My hope is that even if you are not in a place where you can hear this song and be joyful, someday you will.



Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment