Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday Tune

Here' another 80's tune. "Don't You Forget About Me"
It was originally sung by a group called Simple Minds. Recently David Cook from American Idol has done a cover of it.
This one really brings back memories, not so much of what I was doing then but more like a feeling. It reminds me so much of things I felt then. I remember watching the movie The Breakfast Club and just feeling like it completely captured what it was like to be in high school.  It became every teenagers anthem.

But that's not the only thing it captures. Today I see in it parallels to our relationship with Jesus. It's as if Jesus himself is singing some of these words right to me. I can see it now as an anthem of how much I take my relationship with Jesus for granted.

How many times have we gone about our day and not given Him a thought? 
Have you ever forgotten to pray?
Do you sometimes go through your devotion time quickly so as to get on with your day, or move on to the next thing on your list?
When troubles come, do you often forget about all the things He has done for you in the past only focusing on what you are facing immediately?

Maybe it's just me.

Deuteronomy 6:12 be careful not to forget the Lord, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt.

Thankfully God doesn't forget us. He patiently waits for us to remember Him, never holding it against us that we often forget Him.
Isn't that just amazing?

Here are the lyrics:  If you'd like to listen to the song click here.

Won't you come see about me?
I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby

Tell me your troubles and doubts
Giving me everything inside and out and
Love's strange so real in the dark
Think of the tender things that we were working on

Slow change may pull us apart
When the light gets into your heart, baby

Don't You Forget About Me
Don't Don't Don't Don't
Don't You Forget About Me

Will you stand above me?
Look my way, never love me
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down

Will you recognize me?
Call my name or walk on by
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down, down

Don't you try to pretend
It's my feeling we'll win in the end
I won't harm you or touch your defenses
Vanity and security

Don't you forget about me
I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby
Going to take you apart
I'll put us back together at heart, baby

Don't You Forget About Me
Don't Don't Don't Don't
Don't You Forget About Me

As you walk on by
Will you call my name?
As you walk on by
Will you call my name?
When you walk away



Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment