Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday Tune

Today's Tuesday Tune is an old song by Garth  Brooks. This is a favorite of mine as well as many others out there I'm sure.
Read the lyrics below:

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars alone
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye


And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I a king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all


And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance


Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance

This song is about the saddness of not only losing someone but having a beautiful memory to look back on. Garth wonders if he had known then what he knows now, would he change any of it?  Knowing himself he would have exercised his free will and possibly avoided the pain in the end. But by the end of the song it is clear that Garth would rather have that one moment even if it meant that later he would experience pain. He descides that it is best to leave it all to chance then be in control himself.

Have you ever felt like that? Was there ever a time when you felt pain and saddness over an event, and yet looked back on the memories leading up to the pain, and thought "it was all worth it"?

This goes along with yesterday's theme of life being the "messy bits". 
We may go through a lot in life, but left up to our own control would we really go through it all?
No I think if it were up to us, we would avoid all possible difficulties.
But our life isn't up to us.
Our life is in the hands of the one who created it. And His design for us involves going through things we may not like only to come out on the other side blessed for having been there. We can't stop the pain, without stopping everything about the situation including the good part.

As the song says "our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance"

Difficulty and Dancing always go hand in hand.

Josey



1 comment:

  1. I love Garth Brooks' songs, and that's a great devotional thought. It goes along with a Heb 12:2 thought I've had in my head for the past couple of days. I actually managed to condense it in a tweet:

    "A godly legacy is built by following the example Jesus set in Heb 12: we accept whatever God allows in our lives & walk in faith & obedience."

    Can't wait for next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete