Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday Tune-In Your Eyes

Ok, I'm showing my age here.
Today's Tuesday Tune, is "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.  This was a huge favorite of mine as a teenager. I'm sure there are those of you out there from the 80's that will agree.  Nothing says teenage angst like John Cusack holding that boombox and blaring this song. And oh boy did I have plenty of angst when I was a teenager.

Here are the lyrics:

"In Your Eyes"

love I get so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I drive off in my car
but whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are

all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
the heat I see in your eyes


If you are not familiar with the song click here to hear it on You Tube.


Now of course this song is about finding completeness in the one you love.

However.

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time you know that I look beyond what the mainstream meaning is supposed to be. I believe even though it was meant as a love song between a man and a woman, if we disect it a little and look at the Bible, we will find that it can also be a song between us and God.

Here goes:

Love, I get so lost sometimes........
Luke 19:10 "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

Days pass, and this emptiness fills my heart......
Ecclesiastes 5:7 For in many dreams and in many words there is emptiness. Rather, fear God.

When I want to run away, I drive off in my car,
but whichever I go I come back to the place you are........
Psalm 139:7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?

And all my instincts,
 they return,
the grand facade sosoon will burn
Without a noise, without my pride, I reach ourt from the inside............
Psalm 100:3 Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.


In your eyes, the light the heat..........
Exodus 24:17 And to the eyes of the sons of Israel the appearance of the glory of the LORD was like a consuming fire on the mountain top.

In your eyes, I am complete........
Colossians 2:10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority

In your eyes, I see the doorway to a thousand churches.......
Acts 16:5 So the churches were being strengthened in the faith, and were increasing in number daily.

In your eyes, the resolution of all the fruitless searches......
Philippians 2:21 For they all seek after their own interests

In your eyes, I see the light and the heat..........
John 12:46 I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness, not those of Christ Jesus.

In your eyes,
Oh I want to be that complete.......I want to touch the light, the heat I see in your eyes.......

Matthew 9:21 for she was saying to herself, “If I only touch His garment, I will get well.”


Do you see it?
How looking at the ordinary from the extraordinary point of view of the Bible, can change our perspective about things?
I hope you can.

I will never feel the same way again about this song. 
It is no longer a song of angst, reminding me of sad times, heartbreak and loss.
It is now a song of hope.....a song of redemption.....a song of love for the one who can change sad times to joyful times.

All because I changed the way I see.


Josey

This song today was used in the movie "Say Anything". Yesterday's movie "Serendipty" also starred John Cusack. If you see a little theme here you'd be right. I'm an 80's girl.











No comments:

Post a Comment