Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tuesday ScripTune

Today is what I have been calling "Tuesday ScripTune". In the past I have featured a worship song and then found scriptures to support it. Not that I don't enjoy doing that. But lately I've been leaning more towards finding ways to find God with secular music.  I have shared my thoughts on songs such as "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker, "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus and "I Won't Let Go" by Rascal Flatts.  I think I'm getting braver in my old age because I am leaning toward keeping this Tuesday feature focused on that point.  After all this is "Amazing God, Ordinary Life".  My purpose has always been to find God in the ordinary places that we wouldn't normally look for or even dare to try to find him.

Funny I use the word dare.That word just brings out something in each of us doesn't it? If someone says "I dare you" it really makes you want to go ahead. Ok, maybe it's just me.
But It seems like there is an unwritten list of do's and don'ts when it comes to being a Christian. Certain books, movies, tv shows, music that are considered off limits if you believe in Jesus.
Well I disagree. Which again, brings me back to the purpose of this blog.
Finding God in places where most people, including Christians would be afraid to look, or better yet, think we have no business even spending time, let alone looking for God, well that's a dare I'd like to take.

With that said, today, I bring you a song that is probably going to ruffle your feathers just by meantioning the artist.  It is the song "Hot n Cold" by Katy Petty. (I have not put the song here for you to listen to so I don't stir you up too much) Regardless of what you think of Katy Perry or her music, bear with me till the end and keep an open mind.
Remember, it's about finding God in an unusual place.

The song Hot n Cold has a chorus that says this:

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white
We fight, we break up
We kiss, we make up
 

Does any of this sound familiar? How many of you out there have accused someone in your life of this very same thing? Has someone ever said you were constantly changing your mind about things? Have you ever felt like this?

I personally think the whole world is like this. One day it's one thing, the next it is something else. Of course anyone who knows me knows I believe in conspiracies so there is a method to that maddness. Oh, but that's for another post.
Seriously though, nothing ever seems to be written in stone anymore. You can't count on anything you read or hear. Even those silly "forward this to 100 friends to save the planet" emails can't be trusted. And I know because everytime I forward one, I find out that it is a hoax.
So what are we to do? Who can we count on? As much as we love our family and friends, they are all guilty of the "yes then no" attitude.
The only one we can truly count on is.........
yup, you guessed it
God.
No one else on this earth, yes the whole earth, is capable of being as trustworthy as God.
 No one is as stable in what He says and what He does as God.
No one is as unchanging in His ways as God
No one

And if you want proof, just to make sure it isn't a hoax, open up your Bible:

Malachi 3:6  “For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed

Psalm 102:27  “But You are the same, And Your years will not come to an end.

Hebrews 1:12 AND LIKE A MANTLE YOU WILL ROLL THEM UP; LIKE A GARMENT THEY WILL ALSO BE CHANGED. BUT YOU ARE THE SAME,
AND YOUR YEARS WILL NOT COME TO AN END

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever


We don't ever have to worry about getting conflictin opinions from God. What He said was the same when it was written as it is today.
And it will be the same tomorrow and for as long as this earth is in existance.
You can count on that.

So the next time your working out, or in your car listening to Katy Petty. (hahaha)
Remember, while she may be singing about someone who is confusing her with their constant change, you don't ever have to worry about that.
Be thankful that the God who created this earth and you as well, will always be the same.

Josey

If you enjoyed this today, leave a comment and let me know. If you didn't and you totally disagree, let me know that to it doesn't scare me.
You'll probably change your mind tomorrow anyway. LOL

3 comments:

  1. Josey,

    Really liked this, could be because I'm so old I don't know who the heck Katy Petty is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea, particularly finding God outside the "holy huddle." And I know about Katy Perry, and I hope she'll find her way back home :)

    ReplyDelete