Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thursday Something to Think About

Since my Tuesday ScripTune used a song that was a little on the controversal side, I thought I'd continue that theme with today's Thursday Something to Think About.
I'm really feeling brave lately.

So I'll start with this.  Read the following movie quotes.

--"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends"

-- "But you know happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light"
--"Curiosity is not a sin. However, from time to time, you should exercise caution"
--"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."
--"You must be wondering why I brought you here. Actually sir, after all these years I just sort of go with it."
--"You said my name. Just my name. Like a whisper. So I took it, clicked it and this tiny ball of light appeared. And I knew. It flew towards me, the ball of light, right through my chest and straight through me. Right here. And I knew it was going to take me where I needed to go"
--"How is it that a baby with no extraordinary magical talent was able to defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How did you escape with nothing but a scar, while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?"

Ok, now what do you think of each of these quotes?  Of course the last one gives away what movies they are all from. 
Each of these quotes is taken from one of the seven Harry Potter films. All of which are actual dialogue from the books.
Regardless of what many people may think of these books, I have found some very profound quotes that I intend to write devotions with for my Blockbuster Inspiration books.  I say books with an s because I intend to write several of them using different movie genres as the theme. The actuall proposal I submitted had the very last quote in it to be used. The others would have to be worked into others. Or maybe I'll just write one whole devotional book based on quotes from controversal movies.
There's a thought.
The reason I'm putting this to you as a Thursday Something to Think About is because this seems to be a touchy subject with many believers. In fact in my opinion people in general either love this story or hate this story, and if they hate it, they hate it with a passion. And Christians especially hate this story.
And I don't get it. Well, that's not entirely true. I think I do get it to a certain point. Some Christians believe that certain things are just off limits to them.
I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that.
A book cannot make you evil.
A movie cannot make you evil.
Music cannot make you evil.
What makes us evil is what is already inside of us.  We are born with this inate desire to go our own way. God knows it and so does satan.  And if we are all born with this internal desire to follow something other than God, then it stands to reason that we may be swayed by something we read, see or hear.
However, we must accept the fact that those things in of the themselves are not what is evil. They can certainly sway us, if our desires take hold and override the truth. But they cannot make us do anything that we don't already want to do.
By all means, if the Harry Potter books make you want to turn away from God and start practicing witchcraft, then you shouldn't read them. I would never suggest doing something that would outright lead you into sin.
But, not everyone is as easily swayed. Not everyone is weak in these areas. Just because a Christian does read these types of books, or watch certain movies, or listen to secular music does not make them a bad Christian. It does not mean that they are openly sinning.
Whether we are good Christians or bad Christians isn't necessarily a matter of what we are doing or not doing. It is a matter of what our motive is behind what we do. Are we satisfying our own desires, or following God's desires? It's about our heart and where our true loyalty lies.
I don't know whether J.K. Rowling had an underlying motive when she wrote these books. Maybe I'm wrong about her and she really is trying to corrupt our youth. I do know this, she was a single mom living off of the government when one day she got an idea for a story. She didn't have any paper with her at that moment so she wrote what she could on a napkin. She didn't even realize she was a writer till that day.Who are we to judge someone who is using their God given talent? (yes God given, because she was created by God just like the rest of us)

I also know this. My daughter who struggles with finding anything to read that she enjoys, has plowed through all seven books in a matter of weeks.  She still talks about the characters in the books as if they are real people. She only does that with books that have touched her in some way. And I really don't have a problem with that, because in all honesty, I do the same thing with books that I enjoy. To me it is a sign of good writing and good story telling if it makes me want to keep reading and continue to think and talk about the characters long after I've finished.

And remember this, Jesus himself used stories all the time to speak to the discples.

So Harry Potter, love it or hate it?
What do you think of the quotes I've found?
If you agree or disagree with anything I've said today, let me know I'd love to hear from you.
Well, ev
en though I've probably alienated the few readers I have, that is my Thursday Something to Think about for this week.
Told you I was getting brave in my old age.


Josey



1 comment:

  1. Josey, teaching at a private Christian school in the Bible belt, I do encounter a few parents who object to Harry Potter. But, it is typically because they don't really understand and/or haven't read the books. They are so much more than their setting and subject. Our whole family loves these books. And, guess what? None of us ever considered becoming magicians or wanting to cast spells. Because the books are FICTION, people! :)

    ReplyDelete