Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Find

I haven't done a Friday Find post in a loooooong time.  I'm not sure if that is because I've had so little time to find something to share with you, or if I haven't found anything that I've wanted to share.
But today, I have something very special for you.  If you've been following, then you know that I've been
CSC_1722reading Ann Voskamp's book "1,000 Gifts".  I heard about this book a long time ago.  It seemed everywhere I went on the internet people were talking about it.  I was waiting to have extra money before I purchased and read it myself.  Then a friend gave me the book as a gift.  So I've been reading it.  You'll notice I've been reading it for quite awhile now.  That's not because I haven't had time to read.  It's really because I have been taking my time with the book.  Which is unusually for me.  Most of the time, I plow right through a book within a few days.  Not this time.  I simply cannot read this book full steam.  It is a book that demands that I take my time.  Ann's writing is honestly the most beautiful words I've ever read.  She has a way of stringing words together that is part poetry, part gut wrenchingly honest, part simply put, and still at the same time thought provoking. 
I hope that makes sense.  Her writing isn't for everyone.  I've met some people who tried to read her book and just "didn't get it", or found it too difficult to understand. 
And that's ok.
For me, I am completely enthrawled by her and I am looking forward to meeting her this summer at She Speaks.
The first time I read her words, it made me not want to write anymore.  It is just that beautiful.
Now when I read her, I feel like it has freed me.  As if I can finally write without restriction.  I'm free to just string words together as my thoughts reveal them, without the fear of it not making sense to anyone.
She makes me want to write more.
She also makes me want to be a better wife, mom and friend.


I would highly recommend this book.    You can find out more about Ann and her book here.
Briefly:  Ann is a wife of a farmer, mother of 6 children she homeschools but like many of us, feels the weight of the demands of life.  She finds herself trying desparately to see God in the midst of all that her life requires.  She struggles with the regrets of having "messed up" so much when she is supposed to be able to handle it all.  She begins a journey to "live fully right where you are" by making a list of things she is thankful for aka 1,000 Gifts.

Please take some time to visit Ann's site and find out more about her and her book.  I hope you like her as much as I do.

Josey 

No comments:

Post a Comment