Monday, April 11, 2011

Movie Quote Monday

Today I'm going to do something I don't think I have ever done before on this blog. 
I am re running a Movie Quote Monday devotion.
Don't worry I have my reasons, and please don't just leave when you see the devotion because you remember it from before.    Re read it.
I'm re running this devotion because 1.  I was away this past weekend at my former church's women's retreat so I do not have a new Movie Quote Monday devotion for you today.  There's a lot for me to do to get ready to go away and I just wasn't able to finish. and 2.  I have been working a the format for these devotions to put in my book and I'd like you to look at it and let me know what you think.  and 3.  This devotion has been on my mind lately and I really feel like I am supposed to re run it.  Maybe it is just for me, but maybe it is for someone else out there.
It is also one of my favorite movie quotes that I have used for these devotions.

"Facing the Jaberwocky"

Today’s Feature: Alice in Wonderland; Walt Disney Pictures, (2010)

Memorable Quote: Alice - “This is impossible"

                            Mad Hatter -"Only if you believe it is"

Biblical Connection: Luke 1:37 "For nothing will be impossible with God." (NASB)


In this most recent version of the Lewis Carroll classic, Alice returns to Wonderland and comes face to face with her seemingly impossible destiny. She must save Wonderland from the Red Queen's reign of terror by defeating the Jaberwocky. The Jaberwocky is a creature described as having "jaws that bite, claws that scratch, and eyes of flame." Alice is completely overwhelmed with the prospect of having to go head to head against this beast. She believes it is an impossible task. However, if we take the Mad Hatter's response....”Only if you believe it is” and compare it with what the Bible tells us, it will give us a new way of looking at anything that seems impossible.


We all face difficult situations, a Jaberwocky, in some way almost every day. The Bible tells us in Luke 1:37, nothing is impossible with God. Yet, how many times have you faced a difficult situation and you’ve thrown your hands up in defeat and said "I can't do this"? We forget we are not like Alice. She faced her Jaberwocky alone. She had to rely on her own strength and abilities. Our scripture says with God. If we rely fully on the one who is capable, then nothing will ever be impossible. All you have to do is believe. Only when we believe in the steadfastness of our heavenly Father can we act appropriately. Where ever we place our belief, there will be our strength. And with that strength, will come success. No matter what we are trying to do, and how hard it seems, God doesn't expect us to do it alone, nor does he want us to. Instead of throwing our hands in the air, we should be bowing our heads humbly and admitting we can do nothing without him.


Then, and only then, will we defeat our Jaberwocky.


Application Steps:

Have you ever faced a “Jaberwocky”? Did you fight it alone, or did you turn to God to help you?

What would it look like for you personally, if you lived out Luke 1:37 in your everyday life?

For further reading: Mark 9:23, Matthew 9:28, Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)


I would love your feedback on this format.  Do you like it?  Was it long enough?  Did it stay on point:?  Was it helpful?

And please take a look at the titles at the top of this blog on the left hand side.  If you receive this post by email you will have to log onto http://www.jbozzoblog.blogspot.com/ in order to see the list.


Josey

1 comment:

  1. I think this will work out great!! Like the format

    ReplyDelete