Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday Scrip Tune

Today I'm taking a different approach to our Tuesday Scrip Tune.  Usually this day is for worship music and scripture.  The song I chose for today is not a worship song.  Please bear with me, I'm trying to show you something.



Those of you who know me, know that I don't believe in only listening to Christian Music.
Now don't get me wrong, I love me some praise and worship music.  Two of the slots in my car cd player have worship music in them.  But I don't believe all other types of music are off limits if you are a Christian.  My family and I listen to all types of music.  If I need to censor, for my children's sake by all means I do.
But hey, I grew up in the 80's when the heavy metal hair bands were  popular and I still listen to Bon Jovi and Van Halen every now and then.

A few years back, long before I began this writing journey, I distinctly remember listening to my favorite country radio station int he car and I heard a song that made me think of God.  I plan to play it for you here on a Tuesday Scrip Tune eventually.  The song was  a love song, but I remember thinking "wouldn't it be wonderful if we sung a song like this to Jesus".  "It would be lovely if we felt this way about our savior".  From that moment on, every time I heard that song, I thought of singing it to Jesus.  And you know what?  It is not such a stretch to sing a love song to Jesus.  Many times the thoughts and emotions of a love song are exactly what we should be singing to him.

The song I've chosen to have you listen to today is called "Smile".  It is by a group called Uncle Kracker.  There are several of their songs that I enjoy listening to and the radio station here in Virigina plays them all the time.  This is a song that talks about how someone they love makes them feel.  They make them smilel. Everytime I listen to it, I think of Jesus.  I think of His attributes and how  its the same as if I were thinking about someone I love.   Thinking of Jesus, should make us smile.  Knowing how much he loves us and what he did for us, should bring us happiness, no matter what is happening in our lives.
Then there is this other aspect of the song that comes into my mind sometimes when I hear it.  Sometimes I wonder if Jesus would sing a song like this to us.  Do I make Him smile?  Does he "buzz like a bee" when he thinks of me?  Does the created world around me, reflect how God feels about me?

I think yes. 

Psalm 16:11 You will make known to me the path of life;In Your presence is fullness of joy;In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.(NASB)
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness;he will quiet you by his love;he will exult over you with loud singing (ESV)



I enjoy this song and I hope you will to.  Just click on the arrow in the middle of the video to start it.
 
And it is amazing some days, when this song comes on the radio, I'm sining to God.  Other days, it's like he's singing to me.  It just depends on my circumstances.
 
Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment