Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Find

Today's Friday Find is a devotional book called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
I was given this book as a gift for Christmas from a new friend I have here in Virginia.  I don't know about you, but I enjoy devotional books.  When I first became a regular church attender, devotionals were the only way I could stay focused on reading the bible.  I still go back to them from time to time.  Only now I use them for a new perspective.
This devotional is not like any other I've read.  Each days reading is literally only a very small paragraph or two. The book itself is small, not a standard size book.  But what do they say?  Size doesn't matter right?
Well, in this case that is exactly right.  Although small and short, this devotional packs a serious punch right to your gut.  It is written as if Jesus is speaking to you. It uses the pronouns I and Me throughout.  You wouldn't believe how changing the way something is written from third to first person makes such a difference in how the message can be received.
I am blown away by this devotional.  It is making me eager for my time with the Lord. I have never felt that.  I have always done my daily bible reading and devotion time with a sense of anticipation, but never with eagerness.  I have set  aside early evening for my quiet time but I find myself wanting to pick it up and read it right away each day.  Sometimes I have to stop myself from reading ahead.  I can see that this is truly going to be a special year between me and the Lord and it is because of this devotional.  I am hearing Him speak to me in such a diffferent way and it is wonderful.
I gave you a littel quote from it yesterday when I wrote about the word empowered.  But I will give you another taste anyway.  This is the devotion from yesterday:

Try to view each day as an adventure, carefully planned out by your Guide.  Instead of staring into the day that is ahead of you, attempting to program it according to your will, be attentive to Me and to all I have prepared for you.  Thank Me for this day of life, recognizing that it is a precious, unrepeatable gift.  Trust that I am with you each moment, whether you sense My Presence or not.  A thankful, trusting attitude helps you to see events in your life from my perspective.  a life lived close to Me will never be dull or predictable.  Expect each day to contain surprises!  Resist your tendency to search for the easiest route through the day.  Be willing to follow wherever I lead.  No matter how steep or treacherous the path before you, the safest place to be is by My side.

How beautiful is that?
This devotional was written by a women who is a missionary.  She used her own words and the words that she journaled over years of listening for God to speak to her during her daily time with Him.  The words and scripture references of the book are from what Jesus laid on her heart during that time.  I can't find anything online about her.  Only her bio page at Thomas Nelson Publishers.  I may keep searching but it looks like she only writes devotionals and doesn't have a personal webiste, at least not that I could find.  I only know what is on the back and inside cover of the book with regards to Sarah Young.

Although it doesn't matter. If you don't have this book, I would encourage you to pick it up. 

And that's my Friday Find to this week.
Thanks for stopping by!


Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment