Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday ScripTune

Luke 2:19 (NIV)
But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.

Today's Tuesday ScripTune is "Mary Did You Know?".
The very first time I heard this song was long before I started attending church regularly.  All I remember was I was home one afternoon and I had the country music channel on the TV while I was doing housework.  They were showing Christmas song videos.  A video featuring Wynonna Judd singing this song came on.  I couldn't move.  I sat in front of the TV till that video was over completely drawn in to the music and the words of this song.  After that, I rarely heard it played on the radio during the Christmas music marathons. I didn't ever hear it sang in church either.
Then a couple of years ago I received a Clay Aiken Christmas cd during a gift exchange.  I'm not what you would call a Clay Aiken fan or anything, but his Christmas cd is very nice.  And yes, on the cd was this song.  Also that same year, our church worship band performed this song one Sunday in church.  I did a little research and found out the man who wrote the song is named Mark Lowery.  He was asked to write a script for a Christmas show at his church.  Mark wrote a series of questions he would like to ask Mary if he could.  The questions were used in between scenes of the play.  Twelve years later, muscian Buddy Greene wrote the music to the script Mark wrote.  The script became the song.  Since then the song has been performed by over 30 different artists.
This is the kind of song I really like.  I think because it is the kind of thing I would think of.  I wonder what it would have been like for Mary.  She may not have known at the time the magnitude of what had happened, but we read about it now, and see it all played out.  When I hear the words "When you kiss your little baby, you kiss the face of God" I get goose bumps. As a mom I can relate to what it is like to hold your child in yoru arms.  Can you imagine being the mother of your savior?  It is almost too much to take in.  The idea that this little helpless baby, is also the creator of the world.  He's all knowing, all powerful, completely Holy and without sin.
There's also another song called "Here With Us".  I don't really know much about it, our church used it in it's Christmas show about two years ago.  It goes along those same lines, talking about how Jesus as a baby has "eyes that have seen the dawn of time".  I couldn't find the song on Playlist.com, which is where I get the music for my blog.  Here is a link to a video that I found of this song if you want to listen to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4YnSDD4uc
It is sooo worth listening to.

Take time and listen today and be amazed!

Josey

1 comment:

  1. Who is singing the song after Mary Did you Know? And Emmanuel?

    ReplyDelete