Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday Something to Think About

Well, I'm still in a little bit of a "funk", but I have an appointment next week with the doctor so maybe we'll figure something out. 
Today with all the Christmas plans going on I'm thinking about the stuff I like most.  And I'm wondering about you out there.  The few people who are reading this faithfully. 
I have some things about Christmas, just like any other holiday that I would not consider Christmas without them.  I have some favorite things that I must see, eat or do.
Ok so here it is:
My all time favorite Christmas movie:  It's A Wonderful Life.  I know this movie only technically fits as a Christmas movie because of the ending, but still.  This has got to be one of the best movies out there.  There's just something about George Bailey that I completely relate to.  The idea that he never feels like he's done anything worthwhile his whole life.  Only to find out at the end that his life had meaning that he never even knew about.  I feel like that alot.  I wonder if I really have any kind of purpose.  There's no excitement in dishes and laundry.  It's not an adventure going grocery shopping.  You can't collect travel stickers from Walmart and Target to put on your suitcase.  There's no medal of honor for getting your kids to school on time.   But in the end, if I've done my job and done it well I will hear words that even George Bailey would be proud of.  "Well, done good and faithful servant".  Without that, it wouldn't be worth it.  Hearing those words when I reach the end of my life is better than any adventure, medal or travel sticker.
My all time favorite Christmas cookie:  The sugar cut out cookie.  It has taken me years to get a recipe that comes out just right.  And the rolling and cutting isn't so easy either.  But, I have to admit, I make a pretty good sugar cut out cookie.  My kids love to do the decorating.  This year I think we will go all out, with icing and sprinkles. My plan is to make them on Christmas Eve this year since it will just be the four of us I want to make it as special as possible.  I must mention my close second on Christmas cookies, and that is the almond crescent.  I must of ate a ton of these when I was pregnant.  (I had the fortune of being pregnant both times at Christmas)
My all time favorite Christmas meal:  We are italian. Turkey is for Thanksgiving, ham is for Easter. On Christmas we have pasta, and lot's of it.  Christmas Eve, even though we are not practicing catholics anymore, we still have the traditional italian seven fishes meal.  Over the years I've tweaked the menu a bit.  Really, squid? calamari?, I don't think so.  We stick with some kind of fish, usually salmon or flounder.  Also there's something with shrimp and something with scallops to.  Then on Christmas Day we go the other route.  Pasta with red sauce, meatballs and sausage.  My kids look forward to it every year.
My all time favorite Christmas song:  This one is tough.  I am a lover of all music.  There are so many songs that I love at this time of year it is hard to pick just one.  I have several Christmas cds that I have had for a long time.  Although I think if I had to choose, I'd choose "Mary Did You Know?"  I have it on the list of songs that plays when you log onto my blog.  This song brings tears to my eyes everytime.  (it's worse now a days with the way I've been feeling)  The idea of Mary having no idea the true depth of what her child will accomplish, is something that we don't think about very often.  And the idea of our savior as a small helpless baby is truly amazing.
All time favorite Christmas Memory:  Getting up at 4 am one year with the kids to open presents.  They were awake, they woke us so we couldn't sleep, we figured why not?  About four hours later both kids were asleep on the floor surrounded by presents and wrapping paper.  It was adorable. 

Oh, all this talk about Christmas is definately brightening my mood.

Ok, your turn.  Think about it a little and then tell me about your favorite's of Christmas.  I bet just thinking about some of this stuff, puts you in a good mood to.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment