Monday, November 15, 2010

Movie Quote Monday

First, I just want to apologize for the lateness of this post.  I really just let the day get away from me today.  I was away for the weekend, and didn't put this post together till I came back.  I'm sorry.
Well, here you go.


Well, my friend, are you ready to do me this service?-Marlon Brando as Don Corleone from the movie The Godfather.


Since I first became a believer, I was always taught that being a Christian doesn’t mean that our lives will be all sunshine and rainbows. If anything it is just the opposite. The Christian life is filled with trials and tribulations. All of which has a purpose in our growth as Christian. I’ve always known there would be something, but I wondered if when the time came, would I be ready?

Five years ago on November 12th, I came home from the hospital after having surgery to remove a part of my thyroid glad that was enlarged. I was told not to worry, it was probably nothing.

It wasn’t.

While in the recovery room, the “student” doctor came in to check on me. He was buzzing around looking at monitors and checking tubes and he casually mentioned that they removed my entire thyroid gland because the pathologist took one look at it and could tell it was cancer. But he said, “Don’t worry you’ll just do a little radiation and then you’ll be fine. Then he left.

I realized that although I had been going to church regularly, reading my bible and praying I wasn’t at all ready this.

It was in that moment that my faith and my life collided. I knew I had a choice to make and my choice would determine the outcome of that collision. As I cried, I said to God, “Ok, this is what you’ve given me, I know you are going to be with me through it, so let’s go”.

Scripture says: The people said to Joshua, "We will serve the LORD our God and we will obey His voice." Joshua 24:24 (NASB)

My decision to trust God completely with my life and obey right then……. has made all the difference in my obedience since then. Saying “ok” to God even when we aren’t’ sure, or when we don’t want to, is what turns the burdens of our life into blessing. Because I said “ok” then, later when God asks me, to do something else, I don’t have to worry about being ready. I only have to say “Ok” and be willing obey. God will do the rest. He will get us through whatever our circumstance.

So:

………..When he tells me to go to London on a missions trip, I am able to say “ok” God

……….when He suggested I share my past with all of my people at church, I say “ok” God

………When He whispers to me “you know that dream you have that you don’t feel qualified to do, I want you to do something with it”, I say “ok”

……..when people die, struggle with illness, lose their jobs, or whatever other bad things happen in this world, I am able to say “ok” God

………And when my husband calls to say he’s been offered a job in Lynchburg and he thinks we should move……………..I said “ok”

God will always ask us to do things in our life that will seem difficult, challenging, or even impossible. But, God doesn’t ever ask us to do something and then send us out on our own. He goes with us and stays with us, seeing it through till the end. Each time He asks and we obey, we get stronger, wiser and more able. Each time we obey, it brings glory to Him.

Scripture also says, And the work of righteousness will be peace, And the service of righteousness, quietness and confidence forever. Isaiah 32:17 (NASB)


If I hadn’t said “Ok” the first time, I wouldn’t have had the courage to say “Ok” all the other times.

And I’ll say “Ok” next time to,

whatever He asks.

Josey

1 comment:

  1. I'm still working on the OK everytime I do it I'm always glad I did but like everything in our Christian walk it takes time perfecting and having an OK on my lips from the very first moment.

    ReplyDelete