Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Find-Fiction


Today's Friday Find is again about a book.  I know I did a book review last week, but I couldn't help it, I finished another book. 
You all know I'm a fast reader.
Anyway, this book was a freebie from Bethany House Publishers.  In exchange for the free book, I get to read it, then post what I think about it here and also at places like Amazon and Barnes  & Noble.
The book is "Hatteras Girl" by Alice J. Wisler.  I have never read anything by this author before.  She has several books in print currently available whereever you buy books.  You can find out more about Alice J. Wisler here http://www.alicewisler.com/
This story is about a girl who lives on the North Carolina coast.  She dreams of two things basically.  Finding love and running a bed & breakfast.  She sort of finds both at once, but whether or not things are going to turn out the way she wants is what the story centers on. 
I liked this book.  I could relate to her at almost 30 not being married yet and wanting to do more with her life than what she is.  I can remember feeling like that at different times myself.  There are lots of interesting and fun characters to.  All of which are completely believable.  There is one thing I don't like about books and that's when a character is just not believable.  That's not a problem here.
Of course, as usual I could sort of tell where the story was headed.  I knew who it was she should have been with all along.  I don't know why these characters can't see what I see.  They would have alot less problems that's for sure.
If I had to find one thing to critique about the book, without giving too much away, I would have to say, the "bad guy" doesn't necessarily make things right, or at least we are not told of the details of him making things right.  We are just left to assume that he does the right thing.  And really I don't think this one little thing is detrimental to the story at all.  It was just my little issue with the story. 
I did absolutely love the final scene with the main character.  It gave me goosebumps and almost made me cry.  And any book that makes me really feel something, gets a thumbs up from me.

Overall, I'd say nice read, realistic story, believable characters, good movement of story.  It's not overly deep and isn't full of characters with huge problems.  As much as I like the deep stuff, I also like my nice happy ending stuff too. 
I say you need a balance of both in your reading list.
If you like fiction than "Hatteras Girl" is worth picking up. 


Ok, that's all for this week.  Be sure and stop back next week.  I've got another Movie Quote Monday coming.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment