Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thursday Something to Think About

Today, I'm wondering about something.  Maybe some of my cyber friends out there can give me their opinion.  If there's anyone reading this.
Here goes.
Devotional books.  Do you read them?  Do you like them?  Do you not like them?  What do you think of them in general? 
I personally like devotional books.  I don't think they should ever take the place of plain old reading of the Bible, but I think they have their uses.  When I was first attending church and growing in my faith, I started out with a devotional Bible. And even though I wasn't very consistant, the devotional definately helped me with my reading.  It was a starting point for me.  I would usually start off reading the devotion, then I would read the suggested verses in the bible.  After that, I would continue in whatever chapter I was in for the suggested verse.  Again, it wasn't very consistant, because with most devotionals you're all over the bible, but at least I was reading scripture.
Then when I was working full time, about the only thing I had time for was a short devotion and a scripture.  I had many small devotional books that I kept handy at work and home to try to get in as much as I could in short intervals.
Now I recently have started just reading the bible during my quiet time.  I'm just trying to focus on the Word itself without anything else.  Typically I will save my devotion reading, or christian non fiction type reading for some other time during the day. 
Some people are completely against devotionals.  I'm not really sure why.
I think they can be very useful for adding additional insight into different things we might be dealing with.  I also think for someone who struggles with reading the Bible everyday, a devotional could be a spring board, like it was for me.  I especially like devotionals with a central theme.  Like for example, "30 days to better prayer" or "365 Devotions to conquer fear" Of course, I made these up, but you get the picture.

Now it's your turn.  What do you think? 
Devotionals: Love them or hate them?  Use them or don't use them?
And one last question. 
If you follow my blog at all, would you read a devotional if I wrote it?


Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment