Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie Quote Monday

“After all, tomorrow is another day”….Scarlet O’Hara from the movie Gone With the Wind


Scarlet O’Hara. One of the most popular story characters of all time. She’s beautiful, feisty, and very self confident. Most people either love her or hate her.

I love her.

Think about it for a minute. The man she has finally realized she loves has just walked out on her. Not only does he walk out, but he tells her off! He doesn’t listen to her excuses or explanations. Just says he’s done, and that’s it.

And what does she say?

Tomorrow is another day.

I wish I had an ounce of her optimism. Oh, how many times I’ve gotten to the end of a day and thought, “what a disaster!” “I’ve blown it again” “What’s wrong with me, why can’t I get this right?” I’m usually still beating myself up the next morning. Then I go about my day trying not to make the same mistakes.

What’s wrong with me? I’m a sinner that’s what’s wrong. And this side of heaven I will always be a sinner. It will be impossible for me to ever get it completely right.

But you know something? Here’s what the Bible says: Psalm 30:5 For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning.
God doesn’t hold it against us when we mess up.

Shheww! Praise God! If He did hold it against me, I would be in big trouble. Every day, at least once a day, sometimes more, I manage to mess up.

Bad attitude about neighbors who don’t pick up after their dog.

Loss of patience with my children because of ____________(fill in the blank with any number of things..

Loss of patience, loss of control, using extremely loud voice while explaining to my son that it is not the end of the world that the playstation isn’t working.

Grumpiness instead of kindness to all in my path because of “severe monthly trauma”.

You get the picture.

Now, I'm not suggesting that because we are forgiven we can just go about like Scarlet O'Hara when we mess up and say "Fiddle de dee, I'll think about that tomorrow".  No not at all.  Just because we are saved and forgiven does not give us that freedom.
In my opinion, the best part about salvation, well maybe not the best part, avoidance of hell is pretty good, but a good thing about salvation is we are able to recognize when we have sinned.  If we are aware of what we've done wrong, then we have an opportunity to learn and grow.  There is only one way to learn and grow.
1. We must admit our mistake, and acknowledge it for what it is, sin. 
2. Then there is the difficult part, asking for forgiveness.  We ask it from God and from the people we have hurt, and yes our sin does hurt other people. 
3. Learn from it and move on. And maybe next time we won't mess up quite as bad. 
Repeat again and again if necessary.
Thankfully, every day is a new opportunity. A clean slate. Because of the sacrifice of Jesus we can come to God every morning and start fresh. No matter how much we mess up, and oh, how I do mess up. We can experience the blessing of forgiveness as if it were the first time. Jesus’ sacrifice makes it possible for God to say…. “I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.” Hebrews 8:12



Scarlet O’Hara left a wake of destruction behind her and didn't acknowledge her part in any of it.  She lived only for herself and didn't really care about how her actions affected others in her life. In the end, it was too late for her.  All of her efforts couldn't fix the damage she had done.  We need to be careful not to let this happen in our own lives.  Taking appropriate action daily is important if we are to learn and grow in our relationship with Jesus and with others.

Even though Scarlet didn't know the joys of salvation the way we do, there is one thing about her that we can take and use.  She knew something that we should remember.

Tomorrow is another day.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment