Monday, August 16, 2010

Movie Quote Monday

"This is impossible" says Alice
Mad Hatter responds,"Only if you believe it is" 
-from the movie Alice in Wonderland

In this most recent version of Alice in Wonderland, which by the way I thought was FABULOUS, (sorry just had to add that) Alice comes face to face with the Jaberwocky.  She's been told it is her destiny to defeat the Jaberwocky and save Wonderland.  In case you are unfamiliar with these stories the Jaberwocky is described as having "jaws that bite, claws that scratch, and eyes of flame."  And having seen the movie, I can say that about sums it up.  Oh, and it can fly, giving it an advantage over a mere young girl.
Alice is completely overwhelmed with the prospect of having to go head to head against this beast.  She believes it is an impossible task.
But I love the Mad Hatter's response....Only if you believe it is.

Dictionary.com gives the definition of believe as: to have confidence in the truth, the existence or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so, only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.......Isn't that a great definition?

Of course we are all familiar with the bible verse from Luke that says "All things are possible with God" (my phrasing no particular translation).  Yet, how many times have we been in a situation where we need to do something and we have just thrown our hands up in the air and said "No way, I can't do this"?
I have a feeling it happens more times than we care to admit.  Even in everyday things, our relationships, our jobs, our ministry.
In fact, It happened to me yesterday.
I have been really trying to put some effort into my writing ever since I came back from the conference.  Yesterday we didn't have any plans so we spent the day at home.  I decided to write a little.  My intentions were good, they really were.  I have my reference book "Fiction Writing for Dummies" and I've been reading it.  I've been following the instructions to.  I was working hard.
Except, nothing I wrote seemed to make any sense, I couldn't come up with a single sentence that really said what I wanted it to say, and all my ideas seem to be going in different directions.  Well, by the time I went to bed last night I was saying "this is impossible, I can't do this".  I set my writing aside completely discouraged and ready to give up.  But the last words on my lips before I fell asleep were "Help me God"

Then I woke up this morning thinking about the Mad Hatter and his words......"Only if you believe it is"

See, we all face a Jaberwocky, every day in some way.  What we forget is, we are not like Alice, we don't face it alone.No matter what we are trying to do, and how hard it seems for us to do it, God doesn't expect us to do it alone, nor does he want us to. Instead of throwing our hands in the air and saying "It's impossible", we should be bowing our heads and humbly admitting that we can do nothing without him.

Now, I'll admit that Jaberwocky was frightening.  I don't know how confident I would be in my abilities to defeat a monster like that.  And truthfully, I can not.  At least not on my own.
Whatever you are facing remember, the verse says All things are possible with God.
Believe.
Because only when we believe in something, can we act purposefully.
Believe in the one who can do anything even with nothing.
Let Him stand beside you and guide your sword, or maybe in my case a pencil.
Then anything is possible.


There are many other verses on belief in the bible, here are a few I found:

Mark 9:23 And Jesus said to them "If you can?" All things are possible to him who believes"
Matthew 9:28 When he entered the house the blind men came up to him and Jesus said to them "Do you believe that I am able to do this?"
Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.


Josey

1 comment:

  1. Hey how did you know that those mountains in the distance are beginning to discourage me? Thanks for reminding me that in my own strength these mountains are unmovable,but with God nothing is impossible......miss you terribly...

    ReplyDelete