Thursday, August 5, 2010

More Conference

Saturday night after finishing up a full day of sessions.  I collapsed into my chair famished and ready to eat.  We had a fabulous dinner of filet mignon.
After a few announcements, general information and worship time, our keynote speaker for the night took the stage.
Angela Thomas.  I personally have never heard of her, but I did see her book "My Single Mom Life" in the library once.  Let me just say, I was absolutely blown away by her message.  Again, I wish I had a video of her giving the same message so you could sit and listen to what she had to say.  She spoke to us about letting God lead us into a specific area of ministry, and she wasn't just talking about something where we are in the public eye, she was talking about right now, right where we are in whatever kind of service we are doing.  She gave us several usefull tidbits of information that will help any woman no matter what you are doing
Here they are from my notes:
Know your calling
Lead with your brokenness
Sometimes it's not your turn yet
Become a woman who is ready
Don't compare
Bring it.

She is just a dynamic speaker and has a way of getting right to the heart of the matter with her own personal stories of difficulties.
At the end of her message she told us a story of a time when she was speaking in Africa.  After she finished the conference the woman in charge took her out to dinner.  The woman said to her "Angela I've been trying to figure out why woman love you so much, and God has given me a word for you"  She then told Angela that the word that came to mind for her was "ordinary".  With that Angela proceed to remind us about how God uses the ordinary.  God takes "ordinary" people and uses them for the "extraordinary."
I have to tell you this was my favorite part of her message, because in case you have forgotten the name of my blog it is Amazing God, Ordinary Life.  It was as if God sent that message just for me.  When Angela said that, I knew my God was confirming in me that I was right where he wanted me, at just the right time he wanted.  It was a goosebump moment for me.

Then, as if the use of the word ordinary wasn't enough.  Angela ended her message with this verse from Jeremiah  1: 5-9:  "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.  O Soveriegn Lord, I said, I cannot speak for you, I am too young.  The Lord replied, Don't say I'm too young; for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don't be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you, I the Lord have spoken.  Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said, Look I have put my words in your mouth!" NLT

I have been reading in the book of Jeremiah for the past month during my daily devotions.

Afterwards I waited in line to speak with Angela.  I just knew I had to tell her that her message impacted me.  I didn't even buy a book, I just jumped in line.  Good Grief did I not see that she had a book table set up and she was signing books!  The whole time I waited, I kept praying "please God let me get the words out of my mouth without making a fool of myself"  When it was my turn, I opened my mouth to speak and all I could do was cry.  I quickly got out an explanation about why her message spoke to me and then I thrust my card into her hand and just said, "look at the title of my blog"  She looked at it, then at me and said "That's us, God's ordinary girls".  Then she hugged me and I went on my way.  I found a chair and sat down to try to settle myself and just thanked God over and over again for that message.

I've got one more thing I want to share with you from the conference and I will do that tomorrow.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment