Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More Conference

Our keynote speaker the first night of the conference was Lysa Terkeurst.  I have followed her blog for over three years ever since I discovered Proverbs 31 ministries, but I have never heard her speak.  The title of her message was "Becoming More"  She also has a book/bible study out called Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl.  I was given the opportunity to read a copy of this book before it came out and review it for her.  Here is the post for that: http://jbozzoblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/becoming-more-than-good-bible-study.html
The main focus of her message was "our reactions will determine our reach"
She gave several personal examples of situations in her life where her reaction made an impact on how it turned out.  She also used her adoptive son's example from his life in an orphanage. 
This message was so relevant for women.  How many times are we faced with situations during the day that get a reaction out of us?  Washer overflows, kids won't pick things up (stepped on a lego again ouch!), dog chews on something, trash overflowing.  The list is endless in any given day. Or maybe it is more serious than that.  Maybe your husband has lost his job and you don't know if or when he will go back to work. Or how bout this one, you didn't get asked to lead that bible study you wanted at your church, or someone else got a book contract after this past weekend and you didn't? Even regular ordinary things, like housework.  Do we grumble about it, or are we thankful we have a house to work in? 
Lysa said this- "Typical reactions will get typical reach, God honoring actions will get a God sized reach"
Isn't that great?
You see every time we have an opportunity to react to something, that reaction will determine where are heart is.  What comes out of us at any given moment is what is inside.  We give what we have. (Lysa said that to)
And you know what?  We don't always know how to respond or react in any given situation.  But there is one thing we can do that can help keep our reaction what it should be. 
Fix our eyes on Jesus.  Because it is when we are focused on Jesus and not ourselves, that we can breathe a little easier and focus a little clearer and react a little better than maybe we have in the past.  And each time we react better than before our reach is going out further.  And when our reach goes out further, so does Jesus.
I don't know if I have conveyed her message clear enough for all of you today.  I hope it makes sense.  I just have to say it was powerful and encouraging and thought provoking to hear Lysa speak Friday night.
I wish I had a transcript or video of this message for you to watch. Here is a link to her website that has several short videos of Lysa for you to check out. http://lysaterkeurst.com/videos/


After Lysa spoke I went into a session with her about pursuing speaking. 
Then I went on to a writer's critique group.  I was a little nervous about that because I had to hand over something I had written and let strangers read it and critique it.  But again, our God is amazing.  He put two wonderful women into my group who were open and honest and most importantly kind. I hope I was able to be the same to them.  They gave me helpful feedback on my article.  Between that and the class I took the next day on magazine writing, I'm hoping to resubmit that same article to the Proverbs 31 ministries magazine.

Well, I think that is enough for today.  Come back tomorrow and I will tell you how my meeting with Cecil Murphey went.
Oh and one last thing.  If you have been reading my blog please sign on as a follower.  Consider it a "friend request" like on facebook.  Someday, when I finish that book, my editor, agent, publisher will want to see how many followers I have so I can sell books.  So it would be really helpful if you would sign on as a follower.  Just click on the link down on the left side of the blog page and it will take you through the steps.

Thanks!

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment