Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I know I promised you more conference highlights all this week. 
However, today I am driving to Tennessee to pick up my kids.  It is 7:24 and I need to be on the road already.
But I'll do my best.
Saturday of the conference was filled with back to back sessions.  Again, I have tons of notes.  I have order cds of the sessions I was not able to attend and that other people told me were "sooo good".
At lunchtime they did a meet and greet of fiction author's who have been featured at the She Reads site. (see button on the left side if you are interested, they recommend good christian fiction).  I wasn't not able to attend and I am soooo bummed becaused they were giving away free copies of books and the authors were signing them.  Yes, I said FREE. 
I didn't have time because I had to wolf down my lunch, make sure there wasn't any reminants of it in my teeth, and head up to a meeting with Cecil Murphey.  Cecil Murphey has been writing books for probably longer than I have been alive.  Ok, that's an exaggeration.  But it's been a long time.  I walk into the meeting, sit down prepared to lay everything out to him and get criticized.  Mr. Murphey looks at me and says "What can I do to help you?"  I couldn't speak for a second, then I figured I better say something, I only have 15 minutes.  So I just said, "Well I'm not sure, but can I just show you what I've been working on?"  "Of course", he said. 
We spent my 15 minutes talking back and forth about my ideas.  He skimmed over something I had written and gave me his opinion on it.  My devotions using movie quotes, he said was "clever".  I asked him if he thought I should take a class, and what kind.  He told me "That is always helpful".  I thanked him for his time and that was it.
It was quick and painless and alot less stressful than I thought.  He was very kind.  He was helpful.  And not once, did he make me feel like I didn't belong there, or that I shouldn't be writing.
It definately was a big highlight of the weekend for me.
Now of course he had back to back meetings with other people who were wanting him to say the same things he said to me, and he probably did.
But for those 15 minutes, he was talking to me.

Gotta go.  I should be on the road already. 
Stop back tomorrow for more conference highlights.  I'm not done yet.


Josey

1 comment:

  1. Josey,

    I appreciate your comments. I also appreciated the opportunity to meet you. You made it easy to listen to you because of your professional approach. I'm glad you found the time helpful.
    Cec

    ReplyDelete