Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Reading

The time-honored road to enrichment is through books.-from the book "Disciplines of a Godly Family" by Kent and Barbara Hughes.
Cool quote huh?
I love reading.  I loved it for as long as I can remember.  Although I haven't spent as much time doing it as I would have liked, even when I was a child.  I wished I had discovered it sooner.  Although I don't know how much sooner I could have begun reading.  I have vivd memories of visiting the school library in elementary school.  I could spend hours in there and I would literally just pluck something off the shelves and read it no matter what it was.  Here is a post on the christian fiction blog called She Reads which I really enjoyed about reading:  http://www.shereads.org/  Check it out.
I didn't spend as much time reading as a child as the author of that post.  But there are times now, when I spend that much time reading.  I still don't know how I do it.
I'm trying to get my kids to read, but so far it has been a struggle.  I'm trying to be an example by letting them see me reading, but they just think that clears the way for them to watch TV if I'm busy reading.

Right now I am reading two books at once.  A habit I picked up about a year ago when I realized that I couldn't possibly read all the books I wanted to as quickly as I wanted to.  My "To Be Read" pile was growing.  I am currently reading "Disciplines of a Godly Family" which was gift before we moved. I read a little each day during my devotion time. I recently re-read an old favorite series of mine by non Christian author Nora Roberts.  I have been a big fan of her work for a long time.
Side note:  I don't just read any one type of book.  I read all kinds of books, by all kinds of authors.  I have even been known to read young adult and children's books.  Some people may disagree with this.  However I find it very enjoyable to have a wide range of interests concerning books.
 I am also reading a classic Jane Austen book this summer, "Mansfield Park".  A couple of summers ago me and two other friends began reading Jane Austen.  We started with Pride and Prejudice and have been hooked ever since.  I had hoped to read at least one Jane Austen book each summer, but have fallen short of that goal. 
My "To Be Read" pile consists of the following right now, but it is always changing.  They are not in any particular order.
"The Mailbox" by Marybeth Whalen
"Relationships a Mess Worth Making" by Tim Lane and Paul Tripp
"Savor the Moment" by Nora Roberts
"Feminine Appeal" Carolyn Mahaney
"Eat, Pray, Love" (can't remember author's name)
Anything by Debbie Macomber

My biggest problem is not being able to buy all of the books that I want to read.  That could end up being expensive.  I need to rely on the library.  Which in order to get a library card I need to prove residence, and we all know how well that proving residence thing is going.  Or I need to find a good used book store, which I have yet to find.  And in case any of these authors is reading this (ha, like that would happen) I would be willing to accept free books in exchange for writing a review.  Hehe, I can dream can't I?

So what are you reading this summer?

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment