Saturday, May 8, 2010

Unemployment

Yesterday I officially became unemployed.  Not because I was layed off or fired.  I chose to leave my job.
And yes, it was a difficult decision.
This past September we made the decision to begin homeschooling our children.  We decided that my daughter was old enough and responsible enough to handle staying home with her brother for the 3 hours I worked 3 times a week.
Well, a few months ago we decided that it was working.  Don't get me wrong.  I liked my job and I liked homeschooling.  It's just that the two don't go together.  Not that you can't work and homeschool.  I've read alot of stories about families who do.  I just don't think you can work during your homeschool during the time when you would be schooling.  Also, as much as I know my children are ok during that time alone, I just don't think it is an ideal situatiuon.  There have been several "incidents" involving the kids since we started leaving them home alone.  And I can't help but wonder if the alone time is the culprit.  I'm not excusing my kids bad behavior due to them being left alone.  Let's face it, there are things that often contribute to bad behavior.  Yes, my children are sinful.  Yes, they are responsible for their own behavior.
But what can I expect when they are left to their own devices part of the time?
Anyway.  I've left my really fun, creative and great coworker job so I can be with my children.  I'm going to focus more on their homeschooling and caring for them.
I truly am enjoying homeschooling.  There is so much more I want to do with it that my job wouldn't allow.  Next weekend I'm going to the homeschool convention in our state with some other moms from our church.  I'm excited and looking forward to exploring all that there is in this world of homeschooling.
I am a little sad about my job though.  Out of all the jobs I've had in my lifetime, and I've had many, this was by far the best.  It was everything I could ever want in a job.  And I discovered talents I didn't know I had while working there.  I am truly going to miss working there and the people I worked with.  I'm so torn up over the whole thing.  I like my job, I like homeschooling.  The two just don't go together for me.  If I could do my job at night then it would work.  But office hours are 9-5.  So I have to let it go. I now it is for the best. I'm making the right decision.
Now here's the interesting part.
Right before we went on vacation for Easter break, a friend of mine called and asked if my daughter would be interested in being a mother's helper for her. She has 6 children and she homeschools. She also asked if my son could come along and play with her 3 boys since they are all close in age. So now on Mondays I take my two kids down to her house for about 4 hours. I was taking them and then going to work. Now I'll be dropping them off and I'll have 4 hours to myself. Can you believe it? Part of the reason I was leaving my job was so they wouldn't be alone and now I'm the one who is going to be alone.

I still can't believe it myself. What am I going to do? I can't help but think that God has opened this time up for me for a reason. But what?
I probably should spend the time cleaning my house so I won't have to do it the rest of the week. Or maybe I can use it as a prep time for school.
I should definately use it wisely.
I don't want to waste this amazing gift I've been given from God.

Well, that's all for now.
Thanks for stopping by!

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment