Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reposting

I am reposting this old post from back in November.  Is that like regifting? hmmmm I guess it depends on how you look at it.
I have two reasons for this.
One, Lysa is having a little contest thingy on her blog for people who have read her book, and two because I think it is worth telling you about again.  This is a review I posted back in November of her latest book "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl"
Enjoy!
Ok, so if you noticed the little side heading on the left side of this blog, you'll see a new little side heading called "Currently Reading" I thought this might be a fun little thing to have going on my blog. I just finished (a few days ago really, wow I'm behind) "Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl" by Lysa Terkeurst.

I truly liked this book. It was full of wonderful real life examples of things we all struggle with as women. I laughed, I cried, and I examined my heart. Three things that I consider part of a good book.
Have you ever gone to church on Sunday, or Wednesday or for a bible study or class and left there all fired up? You go home full of excitment about what you've learned and ready to put it into practice. You feel confident in your walk. You're ready to tackle things with a newfound ability.
Then a day later, mabe two, something happens around the house.... washer overflows, child refuses to do schoolwork, too many things scheduled for one day, husband doesn't empty trash (clearly it is overflowing doesn't he see it?), dog eats sock, dog eats pencil, dog eats chair.
You get the picture.
And then what happens?
Yup you guess it, Mt. St. Helen's!
Everything you've learned and were excited about goes up in smoke and fire and lava spewing all over everyone and everything in your path. Sound familiar? Ok, maybe it's just me.
Well, this is exactly what this book is about. Not only does she talk openly and unashamedly about her own failures, (wow she is brave), she gives you practical suggestions for dealing with this when it happens. She tells you how it is possible to not turn into a spewing volcano. And trust me, she had to go through a few woppers in her lifetime, so she knows what she's talking about.
And it's not difficult. Most of it is stuff we've all heard our pastors preach about. Somehow though she is able to write it in such a way that is sounds fresh and new. Her writing is very readable, if that makes sense. Often I've read books that are supposed to help, but half way through I feel like I don't understand anything they are saying.
But not with Lysa.
And you know what?
It was like reading a book about my life.
I'm telling you I think she spied on me for months and that was how she came up with this book. Everything she addressed I have dealt with in some form over the last few years of my christian life. And thank goodness she wrote this because now I know I'm not crazy.
I'm not the only one.
It's not just me.
There really are other people who don't handle things so good.
And best part of all, there is hope.
That's the message, there is hope in Jesus.
If you get nothing else from this book, get that.
Our hope is in Christ.
The only way we can effectively change is by turning to the one who can change us.
Wow, that is powerful. Yet, how often do you try to do it on our own? We forget that he is there waiting to help us through any and every difficulty we have.
However, I'm no expert so don't take my word for it. (this is my disclaimer)
Read it for yourself and put it up against what you know to be true, and then decide.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Although I could be wrong.
Oh, good grief look at me second guessing myself. I have such issues!
Maybe I should read it again.
Just read it. I liked it, maybe you will to.
Josey
P.S. And how amazing is it that I was able to read a copy of this for free? Lysa is so great she offered to send me a copy if I would post a review about it on my blog, and at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. It was truly a blessing that she gave me this opportunity because my excitment for books often is too much for my wallet. Thank you Lysa! 
Oh, and I'd be happy to do it again for anyone else out there who needs someone to review their book.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Josey... thank you so much for posting such a kind review. Your words touched me deeply tonight!

    Sweet blessings dear friend~

    ReplyDelete