Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Verse for the New Year

Many people I know choose a verse for the year. I have never done that. There are many verses that I feel are close to my heart, but that often changes depending on what is happening in my life.
So I've never really chosen a "theme" verse for me for a year. It sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a try.
I've already had a few things from the bible swirling around in my head the last few days so it wasn't difficult to decide what kind of verse I would like it to be. This morning I went to good ole' Bible Gateway to look up verses.'
Of course, I found several not just one, that I liked:

Romans 8:11 If the spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead, will aslo give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.-ESV

Romans 15:5 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another in accord with Christ Jesus. ESV

1 Corinthians 1:8 ..who will sustain you to the end....ESV

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ , he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold the new has come. ESV

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness." ESV

Galatians 5:1 For freedeom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. ESV

GAlatians 5:24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.ESV

Do you see a pattern here?
Yes, I have some work to do this year.
Event though I found many verses that I liked, and I could go on really, I have chosen one to be my "theme" verse for this year.
Romans 8:ll If the spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead, dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
I heard my pastor make a comment that reflects this verse and it has stayed with me ever since. He said basically the same thing
"The same power that raised Christ from the dead lives in us."
Whoa. When he said that, it was like I never heard it before. In my head I was thinking, "You mean to tell me that I have that kind of strength?" Because I really don't feel like I do. And why in the world would God trust me with that kind of power? What if I don't know how to use it properly? I've seen those movies, power falls into the wrong hands and before you know it, it's the end of the world and some superhero has to save it.
I don't know, it seems like a lot for someone like me.
Truth is, (I think, anyway) He gives us that power because we were never meant to accomplish what we need to on our own. He never sends us out thinking we can handle things on our own. We were always meant to depend on him and his strenght and power.
It is our own stubbornness that makes us think we don't need him, or shouldn't need him and that we can do things on our own. That is why it is such a foreign concept sometimes for us.
"I don't have to do it all by myself?"
"Someone wants to help me?"
Yes.
Absolutely.
Always.
And he is stronger than we are.
He will help us to do things we never thought possible.
There's something else that has been swirling around in my head lately that our founding pastor said during his sermon recenlty. He also commented about the power of Christ in us, but he added: (although I'm sure our senior pastor said it to)
"As a believer in Christ, if we say we "can't" do something, we either don't really believe it, or are just refusing to obey."
Double Whoa.
Again, that stopped me in my tracks, or rather in my note taking during the sermon.
That statement is HUGE. Not just because I put it in big font either.
Not only do I have the power of Christ, but if I neglect to use it, then I'm either not really a believer or just outright sinning on purpose.
I do not want that.
Although it sounds easier than it really is.
Anyway,
Romans 8:ll is my theme verse for this year.
I'm going to work very hard on some areas of my life that need it.
It's going to be an interesting year.

Josey


No comments:

Post a Comment