Monday, January 11, 2010

Movie Quote Monday

"He looks like a deranged easter bunny."
"No he doesn't."
"Yes he does, he looks like a pink nightmare"
-from the movie A Christmas Story

Ok, I know this is a Christmas movie and we are waaaay past Christmas, but when I came home today, my kids were watching this movie. As if 24 hours of it on Christmas Day wasn't enough.
This was the part I walkin on. Ralphy was trying on a gift from a distant relative and it was a pink bunny suit complete with ears and a tail. His father is the one who says it looks awful.
It got me thinking.
It's a little like sin.
Sin sometimes can look harmless, like a bunny. It can be all cute, and cuddly and pink and fuzzy and it might make you smile when you first see it. However, once you are completely wrapped up in it, or in this case it is all over you, you find that it is not so pretty anymore.
The words deranged and nightmare and actually quite fitting.
They give a pretty good description of what it is like and what we are like when we are in the midst of a sinful behavior.
Trust me, I know.
I'm hoping I'm not the only one who can relate here.
Take eating habits for example. We all know that there are healthy ways to eat and non healthy ways to eat. And some of us need to watch what we eat, some us do not. For those of us who need to be a little more aware of what we are eating, it usually goes something like this.
We see it.
It looks good.
We know we shouldn't.
But it looks good.
We know it will taste good to.
It's not that bad.
How can it look that good and be bad?
I can have just one.
Only this one time.
It's so good.
I'll start tomorrow.
Sound familiar? Sounds a little like a cute and fuzzy bunny.
But after we realize that it is not that easy to stop with one, sometimes even just one can push us over the edge with out weight, and lacking self control is sinful. There is no way to justify that no matter how hard we try. The above situation usually happens more than once in a while. Add all of those times up and we get about 30 extra pounds. Multiply that by years and there's no telling how much extra weight is put on.
Not only are there physical consequences, there's the emotional ones.
I did it again.
I'm a failure.
I'm weak.
I don't want to do this anymore.
I can't stop.
This feels bad.
I have _____ because of this.(fill in the blank with any various health issues)
Why try anymore?
Sound familiar. Yup, you guessed it, the nightmare part.
Lucky for us we have a savior who isn't willing to let us stay in the nightmare. And even if we give up on ourselves, he will never give it up. He's there for us, to help get us through any and every thing we come up against.
And yes, we are weak. However, the bible says when we are weak, He is strong. His grace is sufficient.
Our weakness is for His glory. Our weakness helps us to learn to rely on him more. We cannot do it alone. And not only should we not try to, we shouldn't want to.

After the above quote. Ralphy's father says to him "Do you like what you have on?" (Ralphy says no) "Do you want to take it off?" (Ralphy shakes his head yes) "Then get it off right now"

You see? His father tells him, if you don't want it on, then take it off, you don't have to wear it.
If we don't want to do something that we know is bad, we don't have to.
It really is that simple.
Now if I can just find the right fit.

Oh, and one more thing. My husband I and are leaving tonight for an early anniversary trip. Four days, just the two of us at a bed & breakfast in Lancaster, PA. WhooHoo!

Josey
P.S. I am aware that there may be some people out there who feel a movie like A Christmas Story may not be appropriate. However, we enjoy it. If you do not, then that is your choice and I don't judge anyone about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment