Monday, December 14, 2009

Movie Quote Monday

"Well, this is a very interesting situation"-Jimmy Stewart It's a Wonderful Life

When this is said in the movie, George and Mary had been walking home from the graduation party at his brother's school. Mary is wearing a robe and George is wearing someone's gym clothes because they had fallen into the pool during the dance contest. George turns to talk with a neighbor who is observing their conversation, Mary turns to keep walking. Her robe gets caught and it ends up slipping off. She is hiding in the bushes "sans robe" when George turns around.
George then begins to contemplate all of the different scenerios of how the "interesting situation" could be handled. He rambles on about for a minute or two then he is called away because of his father. He leaves the robe for Mary and goes.

Now as I've explained before because I'm such a fan of the movies, I've seen many. My favorite movies I've seen more than once. Every now and then a line from a movie stays with me. Well, not just lines, I've been known to recite entire passages from some movies, but that's for another time.Once and a while a line will stand out and I'm immediately drown to the bible and how the line could be interpreted from a biblical perspective.

How many times have we been in a situation and have stepped back for a minutes to evaluate how we should respond? Do we take time to think about our responses or do we just react and respond? Do we ask ourselves and God what the best way to handle the situation?
I know I do not do this on a regular basis. Most of the time I react and respond immediately. I don't take time to think, or weigh out my options. And of course when I don't do that, things don't turn out the way they should.
Why are we in such a hurry to respond? Is it because we think we know what we are doing? Is it really just the fast pace of this world? I think the first one is more like it.
We think we know best. It's like we are saying "I got this". But we don't. Usually when we do that we are responding out of our own knowledge and ability. Not God's
Asking God for help is not a bad thing. It does not show weakness or limited ability. It is actually the opposite. It takes more courage and strength to ask for help then to fumble about on own and make a mess of things. Because that is exactly what happens when we go about it on our own. It turns out messy.
This one reminds me of the of 1 Corinthians 10:13. "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."(New Living Translation, not my favorite translation of this verse, but it was what was handy this morning)
This is one of my favorite scriptures. Most people only recite the first line about temptation. But the rest of the scripture is just as important and also very powerful. It says "God is faithful" and "When we are tempted he will show you the way out so you can endure".
You see? God does, and will help you with no matter what is happening. Even if we don't think it is important to him. And I want you to notice something about this scripture. When he says " When we are tempted HE will show you the way out so you can endure." Not only does he show you the way out, He is the way out.
God is our way out of tempting situations or "interesting situations" as George puts it. We just have to be aware of it and be willing to take it, whatever it is. His way out may not be the way we would have chosen, but remember "His ways are not our ways". And His ways are always better. His ways lead to hope, joy and blessings. His ways lead to the wonderfulness that makes life worth living.
The last part of this scripture says "so you can endure." Those four little words hold so much value I'm not even sure I can sum it all up in a few lines. But know this, He mentions endurance for a reason. There are always going to be "interesting situations" in our life of that we can be sure. If we remember to look for His Ways and His Way Out every time, we will be able to endure.
We will be able to go on.
Day after day.
No matter what "intersting situation" we come up against.
And it will be Wonderful.

Josey
P.S. It's a Wonderful life is one of my all time favorite movies. It has a message of hope that we could all benefit from in some of these trying times. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment