Sunday, December 20, 2009

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Well, if you live anywhere near the east coast you know that we got hammered with a HUGE snowstorm yesterday.
Yippee!!!!!!
I know, I know, most people are not happy about it. But I absolutely love it. This is totally awesome!!
The yard is completely covered! It is piled really high on top of everything!
I was so excited when I woke up yesterday morning. I opened the blinds in my bedroom, snuggled under my quilt and just watched it come down.
I'm telling you this is like a dream come true for me.
And I guess I should apoligize to everyone.
I believe this is a gift from God to me.
I had been feeling really rotten physically and stressed out mentally these last few days.
Not that Christmas is overwhelming me. I've really got it under control. I'm done my shopping. I've planned the menu, I'm ahead with my baking, I'm almost done with my crocheted gifts.
No, it's not Christmas that is overwhelming me.
This time of the month, it doesn't take much to set me off. If you know what I mean. I literally had a melt down on Friday after leaving walmart because I was confused about what the cashier did. I was making a few purchases for myself and for our exchange student. I wanted them wrung separately so I could keep the money straight. Well she didn't do that so I had to go to customer service for them to straighten it out. Everyone was very nice and courteous about it. But I just couldn't understand what she did to straighten it out. I had a hard time understanding and in my mind everything was still all mixed up with my purchases.
I left there and cried in the car! Can you believe that? I was confused about the money and I just cried on my way to the grocery store.
Then of course, the grocery store was a nightmare because everyone was panicking about the snow. The self check machine was giving me a hard time and the lady had to come over twice to help me.
Again, I left there and just wanted to cry. It was supposed to be a simple trip to walmart and Shop Rite to grab just a few things that were on sale and it turned into tears.
So I when I woke up Saturday to the site of snow, I have to tell you I was very happy.
Again, it was like a gift. The best gift I could ever get, next to my savior of course.
You see, for me snow days are the perfect day. My dream life would be to live somewhere where it snows all the time. From November till March. Then I could just putz around my house, make soups and bake cookies, read books and crochet. I'd be in no hurry to dig out and go anywhere. I'd just sit by the window and watch it snow.
I really am just a homebody.
And I think that snow days are made for just that. Being at home. I don't think anyone should go anywhere. It should be a day to just wind down and relax. Now I know there are people out there who feel this snow has caused problems because they still have shopping to do. But maybe this will give them a chance to really think about Christmas and what it means. Maybe if they didn't get out to get one last present, they will realize that it is ok. Maybe they spent the day with their kids playing in the snow and baking cookies instead of tearing up the stores looking for the perfect present. And some people who have been working late hours so people can shop for those presents got to stay home and rest because of the snow.
They say the snow will probably last until Christmas. How often does that happen? I know where we live we get snow, but usually a day or two later, it's gone.
On Christmas hopefully we will be able to look out our windows and see the beautiful snow and remember the big blizzard and how it hindered any last minute christmas shopping that we had planned.
And maybe people will remember.
It's not about the presents, it's about the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment