Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After

'sWell, it's all over. The turkeys been carved and eaten, the potatoes are cold, the grease has settled on top of the gravy.
Thanksgiving has come and gone. Nothing left now but the leftovers.
Time to start counting down till Christmas. Except after this morning there's probably nothing left in the stores. I heard it was a madhouse out there. Toys R Us was open at midnight!
In the past I have gone out on Black Friday shopping and I thought it was alot of fun. But I don't take it as seriously as other people. I usually focus on one particular item that is such a good deal I cannot resist. Not because I'm obsessesed with shopping or anything. It's more like I'm obsessed with getting a good deal. It really bugs me to pay full price when I can get something on sale, or dirt cheap. Even if that means getting up at o'dark thirty to stand in line with a bunch of other crazy people.
You just have to go prepared.
Here's my suggestions, a little late but they may still come in handy
Dress in layers, not coat. It gets hot in those stores even if it is cold when you are standing in line.
Use a wallet or purse with a long strap that you can drape across you so you can shop hands free. You won't be able to get a cart and even if you can, there won't be any room to manuver it in the store.
Bring snacks. Even after all that food on thanksgiving, you will get hungry.
Be focused. Know what you are going for. Black Friday is no time for "browsing"
Don't be shy. You'll be standing in line for hours waiting to check out with other people and this is no time to be quiet and shy. Although I guess you could bring your ipod or something and just tune everyone out.
Make a plan for the kids for later, cause you'll need a nap when you get home.

As I'm writing this, I know there is some sort of way to turn this list of suggestions into a bible study. I can just feel it. It's right there on the tip of my brain, but for the life of me I cannot verbalize it right now.
Too much turkey, I guess.

Anyway, now that my kids are older and we do not need to get those "must have deals" on toys. There isn't as much for me to get up early for. I actually got a few good deals online yesterday and my husband and I will probably go out together later when things settle down and do a little shopping.
We will be counting down till Christmas starting on Tuesday. We've never actually counted down before and we don't have one of those little count down calendars. I went searching for an easy one that I could make. I thought it would be fun for us to do it this year as part of our homeschooling. We will be studying Christmas and some of the traditions of other countries and I thought this would go along with it nicely. I went to Family Fun Magazine online to see what they have. I love their crafts. They are always so simple and fun.
I found this great project for counting down till Christmas. It uses different colored and sizes of socks. Each day you take one down and look inside for a surprise. Isn't that cute? You can use socks you already have or you can buy new ones. I'm going to use a combination. Then the kids can just have a couple of pairs of new socks when we're done. The only thing I need to do now is get some clothespins and some little "surprises" for inside the socks.
If you want to check it out you can go to http://www.familyfun.go.com/ . Seach under Christmas. I think it is under "Count Down Projects" I think. Sorry I'm not good at keeping track of where I was when I'm searching on the internet. But you won't have any problem finding it once you are at the website. Their site is very easy to navigate.
Well, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I need to get myself moving. The laziness from yesterday has spilled over to today and if I don't get dressed soon I will find myself still in these same pajamas tomorrow morning.
HaHa
There's no time for laziness, Christmas is coming.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment