Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Book Review

I just finished reading Leslie Vernick's new book. It's called "Lord, I just want to be happy." Leslie Vernick is a counselor. I have read two other books by her and she was our speaker a few years ago at our Women's Retreat, then again last year at our Women's Fall Conference. Here is her website if you want to find out more about Leslie www.leslievernick.com
Leslie has a real way about her. She speaks and writes as if she is talking to you. Her books always full of God's message of grace, love and salvation.
It was really wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with feeling unhappy.
I personally struggle with this periodically. Well, really just once a month. During that time, my thoughts and feelings become so dark, I find myself saying "I'm not happy", "I don't like what is going on", "I'm miserable", something has to change. Most of the time I always think it is everyone else that needs to change and then I'll be happy. But through reading Leslie's book, I found out that is not the case.
I am responsible for my own attitudes and feelings. God has given me everything I need to be christlike in all situations. I just need to use it and put it into practice. Now, this is not a new concept for me. I have heard much of what Leslie says in her book many times from my pastor. However, this book spoke to me in a different way. It is hard to explain really. Even though I read my bible and have good preaching in my church, sometimes it still takes hearing it in a different way to really make it sink in.
The best part about this book is, she actually gives you practical things that you can do to really make changes in your life. Typically when I read a book that is supposed to help you, I feel like they spend alot of time telling you what is wrong and then don't really give you the tools to implement change. I want to know what to do in any given circumstance that is going to help me not repeat what I've been doing so far. If I'm reading a book to help me, then I want to implement change and I want the author to tell me how to do that, in a practical sense.
Leslie uses her own experiences and examples, as well as some of those she counsels. I like that to. It helps me to feel like I am not alone in what is happening. There are other people who have the same struggles.
Again, I highly recommend this book. It was easy to read. It was full of useful information. There are study questions at the end of each chapter to get you thinking and motivated. I don't think anyone who is struggling with this issue would be disappointed after reading this book.
I am excited about putting into practice what I have learned.
For the first time in a long time I feel like there is hope for what I am going through.
I really think I can make the changes I need to now.
Anytime I read something and it can make me feel that way, It's a good thing.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment