Monday, September 14, 2009

Breaking the mold

How did you like my music yesterday? Isn't it cool! So much better than just the words.
Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I LOVE homeschooling. Even homeschooling and working. It is just really great. I wish I had done it sooner. Love everything about it. Being with my kids, learning alongside them, and being creative with our learning.
I used to think homeschooling was only for people who live on farms, had 18 kids and never cut their hair. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but people do tend to stereotype homeschoolers. Which, I for one and am glad I no longer do. People are actually surprised when I tell them that we are homeschooling, because we don't fit the sterotype. But I don't think the steroptype is acurate. There are too many variables in the homeschooling world, too many different reasons and methods, too many diverse homeschool families. I see now that it is really for anyone.
And I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it, to just do the research and not be afraid to try it.

And just for the record, I'm only partially nothing like the steroptype.
We only have 2 kids.
My hair is currently short.
We don't wear skirts and matching clothes.
I work part time outside of my home.
We have a tv, that we watch regularly. In fact, it's a 65 inch screen. (my husband lost his mind a little the year the eagles went to the superbowl.)
But:
I love my kids.
I'm committed to God and my church and convey that to my children.
I'm committed to doing what's best for my kids, even if they don't like it and the world disapproves.
I enjoy being home and taking care of my family.
I value their education,and want to be sure it matches up with what our family believes and values.
And last but not least:
I trust God to be with me everystep of the way.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment