Saturday, August 22, 2009

The saga continues...

This morning I contacted another bird refuge in central New Jersey. They told me they would take the hummingbird. The woman I spoke with also suggested that instead of coming to them in Mercer County, that the Tri State Bird Rescue in Newark Delaware might be an easier drive for us.
So I called them.
They said they would take the bird. We set out at about 9:30 am to drive to Delaware. We estimated that it would take us 1 1/2 hours to get there.
However, today is Saturday and we live about 20 minutes from the shore. The route we take to get to Delaware is the same route that everyone takes when coming or going to the shore. So as we were leaving, so was about a couple thousand other people, which means TRAFFIC! As we were going down I noticed the other side of the road (coming back) didn't look too bad so I was encouraged that we might just beat the rush heading to the shore.
However....
By the time we got the bird rescue center, dropped off the bird, and got back on 95 to head home, it was almost 12 pm in the afternoon and guess what, TRAFFIC! A couple thousand people were now heading into New Jersey from Delaware to go to the shore. We ended up taking an alternative route home, which took a little longer. Then we stopped for lunch. Which added more time.
We arrived home at 2 pm.
But I'm happy to report that it looks like the bird has a "chance" of survival because we got him there. The woman at the rescue center said we did the right thing by bringing him into our home and feeding him sugar water. She said he probably wouldn't have survived if we hadn't done that.
They are going to update us on his progress. Hopefully they will be able to rehab him in time for him to fly south for the winter.
We've never done anything like this before. We are not what you would consider "nature lovers". If he had not survived the night with us, we would have burried it and not thought anything of it. Once I found some place to take him, I just knew we had to do it. I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere and I will probably write about this at some point.
For now, my children were very happy that we took the bird to the rescue center. My son carried the box into the building looking very proud and grown up. We've been sharing the story with our friends. We are looking forward to hearing from the rescue center about his progress.
This morning I realized something though.
I forgot to take pictures.
Good mom, bad mom, at the same time! Ugh!
Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment