Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Now where was that?...

I have this habit. (among others) I read more than one book at a time. I don't know if I get bored easily with a book and I feel like I need something else exciting before I finish, or if it is that I have so much I want to read and I can't wait to finish something to start something new, or maybe it is just that I'm involved with so many things and each has its own book that goes with it.
It might just be that I like to read.
I don't know.
But up till now it has never been a problem. I would just pick up which ever book I felt like reading at the time. Sometimes I would read from several different books throughout one day.
Today it's a problem.
Here's what happened. Some time ago I read something in one of the many books I'm reading. At the time it didn't seem like much so I didn't underline or highlight what it was that stood out for me. Fast forward a few weeks and I hear a line in one of the movies my kids are watching and it sparks something. I begin to make a connection between the line from the movie and this line from one of the books I read. I start to see that I could make a lesson or a devotion out of it. Then I think, I should go back and read the line from the book again and see what the actual wording was and in what context it was stated in the book so I can try to connect it to the line from the movie and create the bible lesson. Are you able to follow that?
Seems easy enough right?
Oh but guess what? Because I'm reading so many books at one time, I can't remember which book I read it in. And because at the time I wasn't thinking it would be something I could use, I didn't underline or highlight it. It is just in my memory. I'm not even sure how long ago I read it. It could have been days, weeks, or months...
So I began searching. And searching. And searching.
It's been two days and I haven't found it yet.
I'm starting to wonder if I imagined it. Maybe the book didn't actually say what I thought it did. Which would make it harder to find. I've been skimming the most recent books trying to find it.
You have no idea how many books I've read in the last month.
And no, I don't really need the line from the book to write the bible lesson. It still makes sense without it. I can find plenty of scripture to support a connection between the line in the movie and the point of the lesson. I just thought having someone else's opinion would be helpful with the writing and researching needed to write a devotion or bible lesson.
It is driving me crazy that I can't find it or remember!
I might have to just let it go. Finding this is becoming more important than the message I was trying to come up with. That defeats the purpose of most bible lessons or devotions. They are meant to draw us closer to God and away from sinful behavior. Not bring us into sinful behavior.
Have I mentioned I have issues with finding things? I can't bear the thought of something being lost. I have been known to spend hours looking for a missing puzzle piece, toy, sock etc. It can sometimes consume me and all my energy. I can't focus on anything else till it is found.
Much like it is doing now.
Oh what a mess I am sometimes.
I'm going to try to move on.
I don't know if I can.
Oh, the dilema.
Maybe I should write a bible lesson/devotion about this problem I have instead.
Hmmmm.
I have to go.
I've got reading to do.
Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment