Friday, July 3, 2009

Reading

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes.
This summer is no exception. I've already read through about 6 books since the end of May.(I'm a fast reader) My kids are both working through a pile of books for the summer to.
I read all kinds of books, fiction and non fiction. If something looks interesting I'll read it.
When I was a child I was always reading. In school I had a book inside my textbook during class. I read the backs of cereal boxes at breakfast and shampoo bottles when I was in the shower.
Now I just read more than one book at a time so I can get in all the reading I want. I ususally have at least two books going at one time. It just depends on what I feel like reading at any given time. I keep books all over so I always have something to read. There's books for the bathroom, books for while I'm eating, books for before bed, books in the car for waiting for appointments, books for studying.....you get the picture.

Right now I'm re-reading "Disciplines of a Godly Woman" by Barbara Hughes for our women's discipleship group that I'm facilitating. We review one chapter each time we meet so that one is being spread out. At the same time I just finished reading the last of the Baxter Family Series by Karen Kingsbury (Sunrise, Summer, Someday, and Sunset). That was a long haul, from Redemption (the first book) to Sunset (the last). It actually took me a few years to finish those because I was either borrowing books or waiting till I could afford buying them. But, I'm finished now finally.
My most recent read was something I picked up at our church bookstore on Wednesday. I just finished it last night. I was a really small book so it didn't take long. It's called "Just Do Something, A liberating approach to finding God's Will OR How to make a decision without dreams, visions, fleeces, impressions, open doors, random bible verses, casting lots, liver shivers, writing in the sky, etc." Yes, that is actually the title. It is written by Kevin DeYoung a paster in Michigan.

Of course I had to read this book. This is something I have struggled with for a long time. My prayers are constantly filled with "show me, guide me, direct me", "what should I do in this situation?..." I read into everything that happens wondering if is God trying to show me something. It's a little crazy really. But honestly, I want so much to do what God wants me to do that I constantly worry that I'm disappointing him or that I will miss something he has for me, or I'll just make a mistake.

This book was perfect for me. It really put that kind of stuff into perspective. It didn't discount any of it, but it also showed you a better way. He uses straight talk and scripture to get you to see that no matter what we do, if we do it with a heart for God and we do it according to his word, then we really can't go wrong. The biggest point that he made was that we should stop obessing over trying to "figure out" what God wants us to do and just do something. Many people waste much of their lives trying to figure out what to do and never end up "doing" anything.

I hope some of this makes sense. I'm not always good at explaining things that are in my head. It definately made sense to me and was very helpful. I'm glad I picked it up and decided to buy it. Hmmm, was that planned by God? (hehe only kidding)

Anyway, it was really good and I'll probably read it again slower. I usually have to do that. I tend to plow right through a book full speed most of the time. A little bad habit of mine. I can't help it though, I just love to read and want to get to it as fast as I can. Plus, there are so many books to read, and only so much time even when you read more than one book at a time!

Well the forecast says a beautiful weekend is in store for us. I hope they are right. If they aren't there will be alot of unhappy shore merchants and shoobies!!
Enjoy!
Happy 4th!
Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment