Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ok, so I've been told that I need to post more regularly. Problem is, I'm not so sure I have enough interesting things to say more often. But there's one thing that has been on my mind that I've wanted to share with you.
I don't think I"ve ever explained the title of my blog, and since I'm still new to blogging I haven't figured out how to really dress up my place better to include a better description, I thought I'd take time to explain it.
"Amazing God, Ordinary Life" was one a many titles I thought of. Some of the others included "Are you there God?" its me..,(showing my age a little with this one) "Friends, French Fries and Faith"(I really liked this one but I couldn't figure out what it meant), "Speaking of Faith" was another one.
I really wanted something that described me and what I hoped to accomplish with the blog. I kept coming back to Amazing God, Ordinardy Life.
I guess for most people it is really self explanatory. He's amazing. I'm ordinary. But it really goes deeper than that for me.
All my life I've wanted to "do something", "be somebody". I've always felt ordinary, inadequate, and boring. I wanted to be special, have a special talent, be important in some way, etc.

I can't help it, I have to take a rabbit trail for a second. When I just wrote that, I immediately flashed to the Veggie Tales movie Jonah. Have you seen it? Anyway, remember the worm/catapillar? He was chastising(sp?) Jonah I think at the end, and he says a line that goes something like "You wanted to be BIG and IMPORTANT". The world doesn't need anymore people who are BIG and IMPORTANT. What the world needs is compassion." I can't help but giggle a little because the worm/catapillar has a slight indian accent and he really emphasizes big and important. If you've seen it you know what I mean.

Anyway, back on track. It never happened. As I got older I realized that I was just ordinary, there was nothing special about me or my life. As a teenager this resulted in some tough times for me. Once I became a believer and finally got my life together I learned that in God's eyes we are all special and unique and have talents. I thought that was great. Finally! I'm worth something to someone. It was still a long time before I was able to tap into those talents and that uniqueness and be useful in my church, and really I'm still finding new stuff I can do all the time, but I knew it was ok. I also learned that God doesn't always work in the "special" and "extraordinary" ways. Most of the time he works in the ordinary. That was good news for me.

So through different learning experiences and from paying attention in church on Sunday, and Wednesday, and sometimes Thursday, I was able to see that God has done some amazing things in my life. Things that at the time I never thought I would want to share with anyone. But now that I see him working in my life, I want to tell everyone and anyone who will listen. Because I believe that the things that God does in one person's life can be beneficial to someone else. And God calls us to tell people about his amazing work, past or present.

I have benefited so much by things I have heard and read about God working in someone's life that one day I thought, "I wonder if someone could benefit from something that happened to me?" Now that's taking into account that someone is actually listening and reading what I have to say. But I can't worry about that, God will take care of that part.

Slowly over the last year the idea of writing and speaking and/or teaching women through my experiences has taken root. Even if I still feel ordinary, I know God is always working in my life and no matter how insignificant it may seem to me, it could be just what someone else needs at any given moment.

And although I still feel ordinary, I don't see that as a bad thing anymore. It just makes Him even more amazing.

Thanks for stopping by..
Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment