Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I have returned!

Hey everyone, I'm back from London!
We arrived back here on Saturday safe and sound on Saturday. It was a truly blessed experience. Our team went to help the missionaries during their annual retreat. We cooked meals for them and provided children's activities during the retreat sessions. In the past they have done all of this necessary work themselves. Our service helped them to truly take advantage of their time at the retreat. But did I mention the retreat was held in Wales? Wales!! It is so beautiful there. Mostly rolling hill farms and small quaint towns.

We started our day literally with the roster at 5:30 am (which is about midnight here) preparing their breakfast. During breakfast we prepped for dinner later. After cleaning up from breakfast, we layed out items for them to pack their lunches for the afternoon outing. The retreat time began at 9:30 am. From 9:30 until 12:00 we did games, activities, crafts, songs and lessons with the children. In the afternoon we went with them on their family outings. We visited a castle, a coastal town and an amusement park. When we returned from the days outing we prepared and served dinner. After dinner some of them joined us in cleaning up. For the rest of the evening we prepped for the next days meal and just enjoying spending time with them and their children. We really worked hard all week. The days were long and sleep didn't come easy because of the time difference. But it was all worth it. We were a help to them and we served God by our service to them.
Many of the families there were also there last year and their children had grown so much since then. When I first saw them, I became so excited to see them you would have thought they were my own children. Having so much time with them this year was such a blessing. Last year we didnt' stay with them, we stayed at a hotel so we didn't see them once the retreat time for the day was over. Being with them the way we were this year really made it a special time.

This type of missions trip is not typical. It was more of a service oriented trip. But these missionaries are the ones going out into the world to spread the Word. By our service to them, we are helping them to become better at what they will be doing. We are showing them that what they do is important. Many of them are alone in London without family close by. We gave them some much needed "down" time. For them, not having to cook or figure out how to occupy their children was just what they needed.

I'm so grateful for my time there. I'm glad I was able to be of service to someone else in such a big way. I miss them all so much since coming home and I'm praying that I will be able to return next year.
I am also very thankful that I have such a wonderful husband who is quite capable of handling things at home while I was away. Everything went smoothly. He even surprised me by putting new floor in our bedroom and repainting it. He also bought me a bookshelf for all of the piles of books I had laying around our room. woohoo!

Wow, what a trip!

Josey

1 comment: