Monday, March 30, 2009

Jesus, Can we talk?

Hello Everyone,
I'm sorry it has been a few days. Weekends are a little crazy around here. Hopefully as this goes on I will be posting more regular. I'm still getting used to having an audience.
Today I'm home instead of working. My husband is leaving for 5 days of training for his job so he asked me to switch days so I could be home with him before he leaves. I'm so blessed to have a job that allows me to do that. I'll just go in tomorrow instead. My office manager actually said "husbands come first" when I asked her if it was ok. So we had lunch and he left and now I'm home and wondering what to post about.
Lately I've been thinking alot about prayer. I've been praying for answers to some really big questions lately. Yesterday our pastor preached about how as disciples, we should all be "with" Jesus on a daily basis. He talked about how we should be coming to him from a relational point of view when we spend time with him. Our prayers should be conversational. He said by doing this we will naturally get into the habit of speaking to God in a way that is comfortable. And the more we speak with him, the closer our relationship will become and eventually we will love doing it. My blessing Thursday at bible study was that we are free to come to Jesus with our lists of concerns and requests. This sermon just expanded on that for me. Now I know not only is it ok to bring those things to him regularly, but it doesn't have to be in any kind of formal version. Normal conversation is ok. Part of me always knew this, but I guess you always think that it should be a certain way. We don't really believe we can be with him the same way we are with others. Last night at our home fellowship group we discussed ways how our relationship with our friends should be the same as our relationship with Jesus. Our relationship with him should be a committed, loving, comfortable, enjoyable, trusting friendship. We sometimes think that out of reverance for Him we should be very formal. Think about your closest friends, you don't have to be formal with them do you? No, we are all quite comfortable and relaxed around our friends, and as much as we love them, they've never died for us. So shouldn't our friendship with Jesus be like that of a friend and yet so much more. Wow! discussing this really put that in the proper perspective for me. While I do believe there is a time for formal, I am glad it doesn't have to be that way. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd ever be able to pray properly. The lovely thing about it, is that He knows this about us, which is why he allows us to come to him as we are. Not only does he allow it, he welcomes it. The best part of all this for me, is it has me praying more, which is always good. So hubby is away until Friday night. I'm running the show. Most of us think we would love to be in charge. But the truth is, I'd rather he was here. Not because he would be doing certain things, but just because I'd rather he was here with me. As much as I enjoy some "me" time, it can be quite lonely. I miss him when he is not around. And yet I'm guilty of never "missing" my time with Jesus the same way. I have to admit, if I don't do it, I can easily find a way to justify it with many excuses. But after yesterday I have learned that I should feel the same way about my relationship with Jesus as I do about my friends and husband.

Whoa, that gives me alot to work on. But work on it I will, because it is worth the work.

And to think, I wasn't sure what to post about today.

Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment